New rules for lowering/raising vehicles - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-07-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New rules for lowering/raising vehicles

don't know if this has been previously posted but here it is anyway

NEWS RELEASE

TOUGH NEW RULES FOR CAR HOONS
Thursday 16 July 2009

Minister for Roads Michael Daley today announced that car hoons who raise or lower their cars’ suspension will have to meet tough new rules.

Mr Daley said car owners would be limited to raising or lowering their suspension by no more than 5 centimetres from August 1 2009, and all modifications would need engineering approval.

“These changes mean every driver who modifies the suspension on their car must have it approved to make sure it’s safe to be on our roads,” he said.

“At the moment, vehicles can be raised or lowered by up to 5 centimetres without approval, and by up to 15 centimetres with authorised engineering approval.

“I don’t want to see young hoons putting their lives or the lives of others at risk, just because they think their car looks better 15 centimetres closer to the ground.

“These hoons may think their car looks cool, but as far as I’m concerned anything more than a 5 centimetre change in a car’s suspension is dangerous and doesn’t belong on our roads.

“Raising or lowering a vehicle’s height can put the driver, passengers, and other road users at risk.

“It can affect handling, braking and safety features such as electronic stability control.
“It can also change the position of vital impact-absorbing sections of a car, designed to reduce the severity of a crash.

“Raising a vehicle’s suspension can also reduce the driver’s ability to see pedestrians and cyclists, and higher headlights can startle other road users,” Mr Daley said.

Mr Daley said any vehicle being raised or lowered would require certification stating the modifications conform to safety standard requirements.

“The changes also mean any modifications must meet specific requirements such as the vehicle having at least 10 centimetres ground clearance.

“Vehicles raised above the 5 centimetre limit will only be granted conditional registration for use under specified conditions like competing in an off road competition,” Mr Daley said.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/newsevents...9_carhoons.pdf
Old 16-07-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

it doesnt say anything about tyre size though but I presume that will be stated shortly or in the NCOP that will be passed soon, looks like NSW is going in line with the other states, max 2" lift. High fender lifts might be the next big thing on everyones list
Old 16-07-2009
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Funny thing is I just rang the Ministers office for more information and they have no more information available - got to love it when they put announcements like this out there without properly being prepared.
Infact the girl didn't even know if they announcement had been made....
Old 16-07-2009
not just a web wheeler

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I think its funny how they state its dangerous. In the ncop tests finally conducted in Qld a standard hilux outhandled a new commodore in a slalom tests, still a long way to go......
Get onto your clubs and associations to pressure your local authorities.
Old 16-07-2009
westside wheeler

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

looks like stelth night runs will be the only way we can drive our rigs without trailers...
Old 16-07-2009
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

What happens with mods before 1 Aug?
Old 16-07-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogged View Post
What happens with mods before 1 Aug?