Tips for Jeep/Beach Newbie - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2009
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Tips for Jeep/Beach Newbie

Hi All,

My wife and I just bought our first 4x4, a Jeep Wrangler Sports (2009) which we absolutely love. We bought it stock (no expansion packs) softtop so we don't have bull bar or anything like that or any kind of equipment yet.

We want to go up to fraser the week before xmas, we're both really looking forward to it. And I wanted a bit of advice on the bare essentials in terms of recovery equipment, accessories etc. I don't want to spend a bunch of $$, however I don't want to get up there an find out I'm missing something that I really should have.

Cheers
Adam

p.s. The hooks on the front and rear are the recovery hooks yeah? (yes, that's how much of a newbie I am ).
Old 03-10-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Briefly (as this is covered in many other threads you'll find using the search )

The hooks aren't for recovery. Get proper ones, properly fitted, otherwise any sensible person won't recover you due to danger.

Only other things you really need for Fraser are a shovel and a snatch strap.

Be aware of tides and your vehicles wading depth.

Be aware of how the ESP and sand may not mix. Turn it off. This is covered at length on other threads and your vehicle manual. The basic rule in sand is that more right pedal will rarely help. If you're not going forwards, you're going down - to your axles.

Everything else you'll find with a bit of searching.

Have fun!
Old 03-10-2009
Sandgroper

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Congrats on the purchase!
You can get recovery hooks with bolts included from supercheap or similar for about $25 each.
You'll need a snatch strap at least with two rated shackles- supercheap again if on a budget, about $60-$80. Get a tyre pressure gauge and a half decent compressor and don't forget to let tyres down to about 18 psi of course, you'd be suprised how many people don't realise this!!!

Have fun out there!

'98 TJ
Old 03-10-2009
HydroKing

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

1) If it's a JK petrol with auto, make sure it's insured.
2) Get proper recovery hooks fitted front AND rear (if you don't have a towbar). ARB or TJM or any 4wd store can do this for you.
3) Let your tyres and trailor tyres down to 18psi and you'll cruise everywhere.
4) It's always a good idea to get the underbody rustproofed before you head up there.
5) Have fun! If it's just the two of you take the roof off and enjoy the island! Leave the roof on if you go over the western side though... mozzies and sandflies will eat you alive

cheers
Old 03-10-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

some good advice so far...

number one for the beach, be alert, there is no more dynamic driving envronment than the beach

number two, slow down and enjoy the place, don't think for a moment that you will see all that Fraser has too offer in a week, so don't even attempt it

97 TDi XJ

95 XJ
Old 03-10-2009
I LOVE MY JK WRANGLER

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Hi Adam, and welcome aboard.

I'll be on Fraser from the 19th Dec so keep an eye out for me - I might even buy you a beer

All good advice above, just remember to keep an eye on the tides. All beach driving should be done within 2 hours either side of low tide, but there's lot's of inland roads.

The EPA website gives fortnightly updates on conditions on the isalnd, so keep an eye on that. Inland tracks can vary from week to week depending on how much rain they've had. At the moment they are very rough.

Generally I've found that fuel on the Island is around $0.40 dearer per litre than Brissy, and your fuel economy will vary from 15l/100 without the trailer to 24l/100 with the trailer.

Have fun
Old 03-10-2009
AJOR Bronze

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Make sure you hold the ESP button down for 5 sec to disable ESP if you are on 4Hi. ESP is only half disabled if you just press the button once. If your jeep is AUTO, get a trans cooler. If your jeep catch fire, run, dont bother with putting it off, you can't
Post New Thread  Reply