Trading my landy in for a modified Rubicon - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Trading my landy in for a modified Rubicon

Hi there

I am new to Jeep and this forum, but having owned Land Rovers in the past, I know the value of these forums only too well!!

I am seriously considering buying an 07 JK Rubicon that has been modified quite heavily, suspension lift, bigger tyres etc etc I am awaiting a full list of the mods from the dealer so will update as I get them.

The first question is, being new to Jeeps, what should I be looking out for? The vehicle is 2 years old, the manual V6, Mickey T MT tyres, 40k on the clock and that is all I know at this stage.

I want the vehicle for some serious off road work, but it will be my daily commute and will have to do some long distance at highway work. So the second question, to you guys and gals who have done these mods, is (not having driven the vehicle yet) how do these sorts of mods affect the vehicle on a day to day basis?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 04-11-2009
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Post up some photo's of your Landrover mate
Old 04-11-2009
StaunStar

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

That Rubi sounds familiar. is it silver?
Old 04-11-2009
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

yeah i got a modded 07 rubi unlimited with 35's and lift. Great truck that goes pretty much anywhere.
Only thoughts i can give is if you have aftermarket control arms and have poly bushes then get rid of them and go rubber as they will wear extremely quick and DW is likely. Also the thermo fan is a unsealed unit and prone to get crap all in it and now mine struggles to cool the thing down when working hard but other than that they are a fantastic machine!
They are no power machine but then again they are not designed for that but are ample to do the job required.
Factory lockers and ESD are great and never been a problem.
I love driving it but the wife tends to drive it day to day why i get stuck with a fiesta............hmmmm how did that happen???
You will love it i am sure

Last edited by wranglertj; 04-11-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

PM SilverJK on here, it's his old rig.
Old 04-11-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I sold my landy for a JK CRD auto Unlimited have been driving landies since early 80s and now have the JK and love it.
My first Vehicle was a Jeep CJ5 combat 6 sold late 80s
I love vehicles that have character and can be used.

Old 04-11-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Landy to Jeep, I had a jeep in 05 for a year, then bought a rangie and sold that earlier in the year and have just bought a new Rubi.

I was on AULRO for a few years with the same name as I was prior on this forum. I have found owners on both to be extremely knowledgeable and welcoming on both so you should fit right in.

I guess I am in the same catagory as many on here as liking 4wd's that are not exactly the run of the mill but are tried and tested offroad. Each have tier quirks. My 01 rangie cost me a pretty penny in the end (mainly due to poor servicing knowledge/advice from the workshop). This lead me back to Jeep as there is now a 4 door wrangler with some pretty cool goodies standard.

As usual look through the forum for the things you need to look out for. Even after a couple of months I have noticed some rust seepage from around some of the external bolts. This hasnt seemed to go any further on jeeps like my last tj and others kj's but worth a mention. Just keep an eye out for some fixings issues like door seals coming loose etc. Most of these things will have shown themselves by now in an 07.

Really do like the car and it is awesome offroad with the diff locks and sway bar disco. Will be heading down the lift and larger tyres road in the not too distant future so keep us posted on how you go. Good luck.

Charliebrisbane
Post New Thread  Reply