installing tow bar - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-01-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default installing tow bar

GDay all,
I picked up my unlimited from Geelong Chrysler Jeep 2 weeks ago and did not want to pay for the 600 towpack.

i see that I can get it off ebay for much less, but what do I do with the bumper? Do I have to buy a new one? What about the numberplate lights?

FYI - ARB's rear bar does not come with a hayman reece. Infact ARB do not do a towbar for the JK at all.

Old 20-01-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

the mopar towbar kit comes with a shitty rear numberplate relocation kit and wiring and you cut the lower part of the bumper off.

bumper has to be removed to fit towbar.
Old 20-01-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
the mopar towbar kit comes with a shitty rear numberplate relocation kit and wiring and you cut the lower part of the bumper off.

bumper has to be removed to fit towbar.
I take it that they put a cover over the bottom part and dont just leave it rough??

Where does the numberplate get relcated to?

What has everyone else on here done?

cheers
Old 20-01-2010
DetroitDemon

Yep I've seen them leave it all nasty and rough looking. The plastic is easy to manipulate, a bit of sand paper would smooth the cutting down.
Old 20-01-2010
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

The Australian Mopar kit (NOT THE ONE OFF EBAY) it three parts, Towbar, plate relocation and wiring loom.

The kit requires you to cut the underhang off the plastic bar and fit a piece of rolled channel rubber, still pretty rough.

The number plate relocation goes to the left of the bar on the stepped section and has spacers so it sits flat. This uses the factory lights and new wiring loom and has a blanking plate to cover the old light wiring section in the middle of the bar.

Now if you want the ARB bar, then the towbar you get off ebay will suffice since you dont need any of the number plate relocation and blanking stuff.

I had the relocation kit but have now installed the ARB bar and the number plate is in the spare wheel. You could get the ebay bar and the ARB plate holder even if you dont want the ARB rear bar.

Last option is it moount the plate on the LHS quarter guard as the yanks do but our plates are larger and its more fiddly. Quadratec have relacement plates for that position but require the mount to be bolted to the quarter guard.

Phew...hope that helps

Matt.

Last edited by Macca2801; 20-01-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 20-01-2010
DetroitDemon

i used the mopar numberplate relocation kit and put my number plate on the bumper. Used a bit of imagination you could say.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...10034Large.jpg

works a bit better on the drivers side as it doesn't cut your knee caps when you open the tailgate LOL. Also used a bit better bolts to hold it on and those nylon spacers to move it out from the bar a little bit. I thought I'd rip it off while offroad but I am yet to do so. Bent it a bit yes but ripped off no
Old 20-01-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca2801 View Post
You could get the ebay bar and the ARB plate holder even if you dont want the ARB rear bar.
How much was the ARB numberplate holder fitted?

Shame, as I like the cover currently, but I guess when I get some wheels, I will want to show the spare off.

Post New Thread  Reply