Anyone getting rust? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 23-01-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Anyone getting rust?

I have had my JK since Sept 09 and there is already rust on the radio antenna, and the rings around the headlights. I live on the beach which has a lot more salt in the air but come on, it is too soon for rust.
Anyone else getting rust on their JKs?

77 Grand Wagoneer
91 YJ
94 ZJ
96 TJ
09 JKU
14 WK2 Best one yet!
www.SurfFX.com.au
Old 23-01-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it's not usual mate, but if you live on a beach and the vehicle is parked in the open in a salt breeze it don't help. here in w.a. i have seen vehicles in broome, a small town in the north west on a small peninsular with salt breezes from all directions. if left in the open, the bodies have a short life indeed before rust sets in. even on the coast round perth.
Old 24-01-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The jeep is in a garage. I have lived here for 10 years and none of my other cars (BMW, Subaru, Toyota and mitsubishi) have rusted like this. It shocked me to see so much surface rust in just 4 months. Got to wonder how long untill it sets in on the door hinges and the body. Even my jeeps and dodge in canada never rusted like this and thats with salted roads.

77 Grand Wagoneer
91 YJ
94 ZJ
96 TJ
09 JKU
14 WK2 Best one yet!
www.SurfFX.com.au
Old 24-01-2010
AJOR Bronze

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default Rust

My paint is starting to bubble under the front door hinges - both upper & lower. Probably poor surface preparation & I intend to get it fixed under warranty (2 years for rust).

Yours sounds extensive - hope it can be sorted properly.
Old 24-01-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

part of this could be in shipping. these things come from the states by ship and guess if yours was in a spot where the wind could get at it, it could have an effect. also check your warranty before trying to claim on rust. most warranties have a rust perforation policy (i.e must be rusted right through), not a surface rust policy.
Old 24-01-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post
I have had my JK since Sept 09 and there is already rust on the radio antenna, and the rings around the headlights. I live on the beach which has a lot more salt in the air but come on, it is too soon for rust.
Anyone else getting rust on their JKs?
It's perfectly normal!
the corrosion you speak of will wipe off your antenna and headlight surounds, it's only a very mild grade of stainless.

Door hinges, bonnet hinges may also bubble, which is also normal.
the bolts used for the front window support may also have spots or corrosion, also normal. If this happens see your dealer.

Just make sure you wash the stainless bits such as the antenna, it's not surgical grade material, leave a "Stainless" knife or fork outside in the weather and see how long it takes to start to show rust especially near the beach. It's like camping on the beach, nothing is immune.
Old 24-01-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

dont fret about it.

having stuff rust and fall off your jeep while driving is pretty normal. you'll get used to it.

best part is that it doesn't matter how stuffed your jeep is. You could park it in the ocean if you wanted and the resale will not change
Post New Thread  Closed Thread