2000 XJ Mopar Cruise Control - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2000 XJ Mopar Cruise Control

Guys,

I'm bit of Newbie here with an odd question.

Does anybody have pictures of the factory cruise control install? I'm chasing pics of what the servo mounting bracket looks like and where it goes and where the vacuum line runs.

I've recently made the mistake of purchasing a genuine Mopar kit from states to install the factory cruise control to my 2000 XJ Sport. (Mistake beacuse there has yet to be any back-up provided). Unfortunately, the servo in the LHD models mounts where the fuse box is, and the vacuum reservour is on the opposite side of the car so the lines provided lines are short.

My hunting around the wreckers on the east coast has shown that these are really rare and what photos I have found I've been told are for a 95 model. So this poses the question is the servo bracket the same on the early models of the XJ as in the later?

Aaron
Old 07-06-2010
It's a JK Thing ;)

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron71 View Post
Guys,

I'm bit of Newbie here with an odd question.

Does anybody have pictures of the factory cruise control install? I'm chasing pics of what the servo mounting bracket looks like and where it goes and where the vacuum line runs.

I've recently made the mistake of purchasing a genuine Mopar kit from states to install the factory cruise control to my 2000 XJ Sport. (Mistake beacuse there has yet to be any back-up provided). Unfortunately, the servo in the LHD models mounts where the fuse box is, and the vacuum reservour is on the opposite side of the car so the lines provided lines are short.

My hunting around the wreckers on the east coast has shown that these are really rare and what photos I have found I've been told are for a 95 model. So this poses the question is the servo bracket the same on the early models of the XJ as in the later?

Aaron
Pm me with ur email address & ill send u some pics 2morro night after i take some for u i have an 01 xj & im nearly 100% sure there the same or u could google pics

Last edited by ozjeepster; 07-06-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjeepster View Post
Pm me with ur email address & ill send u some pics 2morro night after i take some for u i have an 01 xj & im nearly 100% sure there the same or u could google pics
Can you post them up here as well as there may be others that are curious as well.....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 08-06-2010
It's a JK Thing ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Can you post them up here as well as there may be others that are curious as well.....
Yeah i can do that but yall will have to wait till 2morro night cuz i left the bloody camera sitting on my toolbox at work lmao sorry guys ill put em up 2morro night
Old 09-06-2010
It's a JK Thing ;)

Default Re- Pics

Ok hear is some pics showing the mount & the vac line to T-Piece & then down to the inlet manifold i hope these help if not let me know & ill pull the lot out & show ya lol

Last edited by ozjeepster; 22-03-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 13-06-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Ozjeepster - exactly what I was looking for. Turns out that the bracket is the same as those in the earlier versions of the XJ, so I've just got a secondhand one from an earlier model and swapped it over to the new servo.

For those people that don't know, the 99 - 01 XJ cherokee sports were equipped with half the cruise control mechanism. The wiring to the servo exists in the loom and the control module I believe forms part of the ECU. What is missing is the following:
  • the servo
  • a cruise control clockspring.
  • the steering wheel switches.
  • extension wire to the switches.

I obtained it as a new kit from Jeepsareus.com, but it is set - up for LHD and as such there were problems.

There's a fairly good article here which describes the steps on how to install http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...-97-xj-906542/but you need to note the following modifications for RHD versions-
  • The RHD servo needs to mount next to the brake booster with the cable facing forwards. The LHD install has the servo where out fuse box sits.
  • The vacuum tank is mounted on the passenger side in the RHD vesrions, so the vacuum line linkage is not as simple - if you're getting your bits from a wreck take all of the vacuum line you can as itneeds to run across the engine bay.
Other than that the instructions are pretty much correct for RHD.

For the vacuum, I used the front blanked plug on the inlet manifold rather than tapping into the existing vacuum lines and tank.

The only way I could get around the bracket issue was to buy a used servo from a wreck and swap the servo over. The earlier versions of the servo use a round pin type connector, where as the later use a flat pin. While the wiring colours are the same, I'm not sure whether they can be crossed across using a rigged up loom - maybe someone can answer this. If so, this could allow you to order just the clockspring, switches and connecting wire from the cheapest vendor, without the hassles I had getting the bracket right.
Post New Thread  Reply