CRD engine problem - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-07-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default CRD engine problem

Hello to all

I have a MY05 2.8 CRD LTD with 47000kms on the clock.

This vehicle has never been off road and has very rarely reached the 110 speed limit.

At the end of February this year I had to have the tensioner belt and pully replaced which was making a lot of noise. Cost approx $700.

Three weeks ago (25/6) the noise started again after having driven less than 5000ks. I have been waiting for more parts to arrive!

On Tuesday of this week I went to start the car and heard an ominous knock from the engine. After calling the RAA it was decided to get the vehicle towed to the dealer where it was determined that the engine had terminal damage.

As the vehicle is out of warranty i.e. more than 3 years old, I am faced with a hefty repair bill.

I am, as indeed anyone would be, really livid bearing in mind the distance travelled.

I have approached Chrysler as I feel this is something that should not have happened with the usage but got a very blunt response.

Obviously something has prematurely failed within the engine and I would have thought that Chrysler would want to know what.

In this circumstance there is such a thing as a "moral warranty" to help with, what I am told is a very unusual incident.

What I now ask the members is if there is any knowledge base of this happening before with this engine?
Would the failed tensioner belt and pulley have contributed to the engine failure?
Any suggestions as to the best way of fixing it, while minimising the cost, would be appreciated.

I have since found out that there is a second vehicle in the workshop with the same problem.

Do Jeep have a 'Kia' engine problem?

I would appreciate your comments and feedback.

Regards
Al
Old 16-07-2010
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Which tensioner and belt and pulley was replaced. The ones for waterpump, aircon, powersteering ect ect, IE the ones you can see, or the Timing Belt pulley and tensoner (internal component - you cant see it).????
Sounds a bit like the timing belt has failed, from what you describe, but not completely sure. At 5years old a timing belt is almost at the end of its life regardless of kilometers, but, if you just had it replaced and it has failed, one would imagine the fault would lie with whoever replaced it..

If the car is 2 years out of warrenty, you may be able to get help form Jeep, but, I would not expect them to pay for all.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 16-07-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Having recently gone through similar grief when my timing belt failed, I'd get a DIESEL mechanic to look at it. They'll know pretty quickly what the problem is. I had an RACQ guy look at it who knew nothing about diesels and he was useless. I then made sure they sent a diesel mechanic and he worked it all out in 5 minutes. It's then a matter of working out how to fix it. "Terminal" damage could mean anything but most likely that it'll cost less to get Jeep to supply a new engine than repair it. Don't believe them! Do a few searches on here to find out about fixing things and ordering parts from the UK as it will save you up to 90% of buying things here. No joke!

Pick the brains of guys like cmohr on here, they're great and only too willing to assist. Bottom line is, you're now in the right place to get valuable information!

Last edited by indiedog; 16-07-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 16-07-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks 'cmohr' and 'indiedog' for your replies.

I am not sure which belt was replaced. My invoice only states 'Tensioner belt'. I know Jeep replaced another part which I was not charged for but I cannot remember if they said what part. The replacement belt cost $525.62

The vehicle has been religously serviced by the dealer and gone back for all recall and warranty work when requested.

The dealer is unable to give me any indication of what part has failed to cause the damege but is willing to charge me $2000 to find out!!

So far the dealer has quoted me $11,588 for a replacement second hand engine or, wait for it, $28,000 for a new one.

Who has that spare cash lying around to fix a vehicle with such a low mileage.

I have telephoned Chrysler HO in Victoria but all I got was "its out of warranty". So that is how much Jeep are prepared to help!!

I have stated to Jeep and the dealer that I am not looking for a 'free' fix but believe, under the circumstances, there is a 'moral' obligation to come to a compromise.

I was going to upgrade the vehicle in 3 months with my son to buy one at the same time, but I think that has now gone 'out of the window'

My relationship with DC has been seriously tarnished by this together with their response or lack of it and will cost them far more in the long term.

'Word of mouth' cannot be evaluated for loss or gain. I will shortly be in the market for additional trucks for my fleet which are currently Mercedes. I have a strong feeling my allegiance will be going to change!!

Last edited by aladdin; 16-07-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: original post repeated
Old 17-07-2010
Greying Nomad

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Chrysler are no longer anything to do with Mercedes, so don't let that be a factor in your decision.
Old 18-07-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Pipeliner, it won't.

Six monthe ago I bought a VW Crafter version of the Sprinter and have found it to perform so much better than the Mercs.

Doesn't help my problem with the KJ engine though!!

The dealer has now suggested that I may have filled the tank with unleaded fuel.
If he takes the filler cap off and sticks his nose in he will get the answer!!

Where do they get these guys from?
Old 18-07-2010
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Judging by the cost of the belt it would be the cambelt.

If i were you i'd get an independant (and reputable) mechanic to check the cambelt. It may be that the cambelt change was not done correctly, or the belt or pulleys were faulty (or that neither was changed).

If it was in fact a service error then you may have a case. The new car wtty is out of the question, but you may have recourse regarding workmanship.
Post New Thread  Reply