PDA

View Full Version : What Model To Buy??

smally
30-11-2010, 08:39 PM
I don't own a Jeep, but seriously considering purchasing one soon. My job requires me to travel 420km to get to the mine where I stay for 7 days and then head home again for another 7. The last 100km is a dirt road which varies in condition according to the weather. Throw a heap of roos, emus and goats into the equation and it makes for a fun drive!
My vehicle requirements are not extreme by 4x4 standards, but I'm looking for something comfortable, reliable and reasonably economical. Would like to have a decent bullbar and cruise control as well. As this will only be a work vehicle, I'm not looking at spending a lot of money, around the 5 to 6k mark. I have driven Loluxes and Landbruisers and similar vehicles and not really impressed by their lack of performance. When it's time to pass a B Double on the highway, I don't want to hang around.
Ive been looking at the XJ Cherokee 4.0 and they seem like good value. Not real sure how good the Grand Cherokee's are, but I'm sure I will pick up all the info I need on here as I go.

smally
30-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Just found this one for sale http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=9641281&__Qpb=true&Cr=9&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32 |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294965086&silo=1011&__No=30&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=1629&__sid=1264DB23B118
It seems too cheap, or is it just me?

AussieCJ7
30-11-2010, 08:53 PM
XJ are great value for money and fit your budget but for what you described as you use the extra comfort of a Grand makes it well worth it, if you can stretch to 10 - 12 you can get into a V8 WJ grand. They make great cruising vehicles and provide a bit extra space over a XJ

smally
01-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Sounds good, don't know much about the Grands. What are the V8s like on fuel on the open road? If I went for a 4.0 litre Grand, what are the advantages? Other than a bigger body, are they just like a Cherokee mechanically? I'm talking XJ / WJ.

glend
01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
IMHO XJs are just getting too old to be reliable outback travel vehicles, unless really well looked after by the current and previous owners. Go with the latest model Grand you can afford. Other alternatives, if it must be a Jeep, would be the KJ CRD (for fuel economy) if you can find one that has been well maintained.

Steve F
01-12-2010, 11:22 AM
$5000-$6000 will get a reasonable XJ, not a minter but not too bad. Bear in mind it will be at least 10 years old now and probably more at the price you're looking at. The engine etc will last forever as will the rest of the driveline if it's been serviced and looked after. It will easily do that 420km and will be reasonably comfortable if stock. Things I'd look at though upgrading though, assuming all the standard mechanicals and stuff are good, would be shocks and springs along with some AT tyres.

As suggested though a WJ would be a step up in comfort and is more modern but it's going to be a rougher one at the low end of the price range even for $10000

Cheers
Steve

bbodybenny
01-12-2010, 11:46 AM
My friend Derek got a Mint 1998 xj update with cruise, 2" lift, ironman shocks, sway bar disco's, unmarked cloth interior, alloys, and only 136 K on the clock for $5000 in Perth. Absolute bargain and absolutely tip top cond.
Bargain.
Parts are cheap and available, and plenty of room for touring, if theres only two or three people.
Grands can be expensive when they fail, (I own two) and TJ's are a bumpy ride over corrugations, and with a soft top, youd have terrible dust and noise to deal with.
spend time searching for a good xj update i reckon, with a good fullsize aluminium bullbar, (much ligher over the front wheels) it will save the suspension from destroying itself prematurely over the corrugations, and if you hit a big roo at speed, the cars gonna be stuffed whether it has a steel or ally bar on it anyway.
Happy hunting.Penguin

smally
01-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.
Sounds like the XJ will be a better car for the money. I realise they are getting on a bit and in the price range I have suggested they will have a few knocks etc. It really just needs to be reliable and economical. I dont want to be pulling out dashboards to fix blend doors etc, so I think I will steer clear of the WJ.
When did the XJ's get the update, and did anyone check out that link to the carsales ad in my earlier post?

JoeJeep
01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
The XJ in the link you posted looks clean and tidy (can't see the passenger side though) with low kms (my 06 TJ is clocking almost that) and at a decent price. Is it registered?

smally
01-12-2010, 01:38 PM
According to the site it says all their vehicles come with no rego or RWC, which doesn't really bother me as I'm in SA anyway.
Not sure how black would go on our nice clay road - its like a slush pit at the moment, all the company hiluxes have changed from white to a nice orange / brown!

kj69
01-12-2010, 05:55 PM
IMHO XJs are just getting too old to be reliable outback travel vehicles, unless really well looked after by the current and previous owners. Go with the latest model Grand you can afford. Other alternatives, if it must be a Jeep, would be the KJ CRD (for fuel economy) if you can find one that has been well maintained.

kj crd ,not for 5/6 grand.Great thing about xj `s they are reliable and basic and the faults they do have are fixed for minimal cost ,go an update 98 on xj if you can . that xj on car sales looks like a good buy low k`s good price

ChrisXJ
01-12-2010, 06:53 PM
By a 4X4 model that the mine has. This way you can get plenty of spares.
Buy the Jeep to take offroad.
Just my 2 bobs worth, that's all