What Model To Buy?? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-11-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What Model To Buy??

I don't own a Jeep, but seriously considering purchasing one soon. My job requires me to travel 420km to get to the mine where I stay for 7 days and then head home again for another 7. The last 100km is a dirt road which varies in condition according to the weather. Throw a heap of roos, emus and goats into the equation and it makes for a fun drive!
My vehicle requirements are not extreme by 4x4 standards, but I'm looking for something comfortable, reliable and reasonably economical. Would like to have a decent bullbar and cruise control as well. As this will only be a work vehicle, I'm not looking at spending a lot of money, around the 5 to 6k mark. I have driven Loluxes and Landbruisers and similar vehicles and not really impressed by their lack of performance. When it's time to pass a B Double on the highway, I don't want to hang around.
Ive been looking at the XJ Cherokee 4.0 and they seem like good value. Not real sure how good the Grand Cherokee's are, but I'm sure I will pick up all the info I need on here as I go.

Last edited by smally; 30-11-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 30-11-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just found this one for sale http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...ords=&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294965086&silo=1011&__No=30&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=1629&__sid=1264DB23B118
It seems too cheap, or is it just me?
Old 30-11-2010

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

XJ are great value for money and fit your budget but for what you described as you use the extra comfort of a Grand makes it well worth it, if you can stretch to 10 - 12 you can get into a V8 WJ grand. They make great cruising vehicles and provide a bit extra space over a XJ
Old 01-12-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds good, don't know much about the Grands. What are the V8s like on fuel on the open road? If I went for a 4.0 litre Grand, what are the advantages? Other than a bigger body, are they just like a Cherokee mechanically? I'm talking XJ / WJ.
Old 01-12-2010
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

IMHO XJs are just getting too old to be reliable outback travel vehicles, unless really well looked after by the current and previous owners. Go with the latest model Grand you can afford. Other alternatives, if it must be a Jeep, would be the KJ CRD (for fuel economy) if you can find one that has been well maintained.
Old 01-12-2010
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

$5000-$6000 will get a reasonable XJ, not a minter but not too bad. Bear in mind it will be at least 10 years old now and probably more at the price you're looking at. The engine etc will last forever as will the rest of the driveline if it's been serviced and looked after. It will easily do that 420km and will be reasonably comfortable if stock. Things I'd look at though upgrading though, assuming all the standard mechanicals and stuff are good, would be shocks and springs along with some AT tyres.

As suggested though a WJ would be a step up in comfort and is more modern but it's going to be a rougher one at the low end of the price range even for $10000

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-12-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Xj

My friend Derek got a Mint 1998 xj update with cruise, 2" lift, ironman shocks, sway bar disco's, unmarked cloth interior, alloys, and only 136 K on the clock for $5000 in Perth. Absolute bargain and absolutely tip top cond.
Bargain.
Parts are cheap and available, and plenty of room for touring, if theres only two or three people.
Grands can be expensive when they fail, (I own two) and TJ's are a bumpy ride over corrugations, and with a soft top, youd have terrible dust and noise to deal with.
spend time searching for a good xj update i reckon, with a good fullsize aluminium bullbar, (much ligher over the front wheels) it will save the suspension from destroying itself prematurely over the corrugations, and if you hit a big roo at speed, the cars gonna be stuffed whether it has a steel or ally bar on it anyway.
Happy hunting.