PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying an xj sport. Good idea?

Tum
18-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Hi guys!
I'm new here and this is my first post!

I'm looking to get a 4x4 for doing a bit of travelling around Aus.
I've got a 2001 XJ Sport in mind from a collegue who is looking for $5500 for it.
The Jeep is a 4l auto straight 6 I believe with 200k on the odometer.

I'm hoping someone may be able to enlighten me if there are any issues with this model, or if there is something I may need keep an eye out for.
Is this a good price?

I love the look of the XJ, and kind of have my heart set on this one, but i want to be as sure as I can be of what I'm doing before I buy it.

Thanks in advance!

Tom.

Crawlerpaul
18-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi guys!
I'm new here and this is my first post!

I'm looking to get a 4x4 for doing a bit of travelling around Aus.
I've got a 2001 XJ Sport in mind from a collegue who is looking for $5500 for it.
The Jeep is a 4l auto straight 6 I believe with 200k on the odometer.

I'm hoping someone may be able to enlighten me if there are any issues with this model, or if there is something I may need keep an eye out for.
Is this a good price?

I love the look of the XJ, and kind of have my heart set on this one, but i want to be as sure as I can be of what I'm doing before I buy it.

Thanks in advance!

Tom.

Welcome onboard Tom, the info on here is endless and never ending, there are plenty of common issues that pop up from time to time, but like any car with regular maintenance can be minimal. If the car has a good service history and has been well cared for it will go for another 200000klm, they have a really strong engine.
I guess fuel cost should be considered if touring, the 4.0 like to drink, but highway cruising is not that bad.
I love my xj, it's only a weekend truck for myself but I am glad I chose an xj and won't be getting rid of it any time soon. Parts are readily available and relatively cheap, I find the car easy to work on and love it's power. Offroad they are great too, good value for money 4x4.
Have a look around the forum, you be blown away by the knowledge of jeepers on here and there willingness to help out when needed.
Again welcome, hope to see you in a jeep soon!!:p

anthonygubbin
18-10-2012, 07:21 PM
More than likely there will be S### loads of issues. But rather than me rattle off a long list as I noramally do when this question comes up, do some searching.

Regards A

shakes
18-10-2012, 07:36 PM
More than likely there will be S### loads of issues. But rather than me rattle off a long list as I noramally do when this question comes up, do some searching.

Regards A

Dig through the common mod's and cheap fixes stickies, that covers most of the things that can go wrong.

Head over to gojeeps website and have a good read through.

Go back have a good look over the car armed with this info, come back search the forum for specifics. And then ask ;) I had a thread not long ago with quite a few gems of info in it as well.

Lastly, don't believe anyone that gets in your ear about jeeps being trouble, they are no worse or better than any other car out there.... Just need to know what your in for.

anthonygubbin
18-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Put it this way I spent 2k in the first six months of ownership just on repairs. Mine was emaculate when I got it. Unfortunatly unless you really know cars and have the opportunity to dismantle it prior to purchase a lot of issues remain hidden.
BTW Shakes saying they are no worse than any other car, I think is a little misleading. When I was married we had an 02 Camry that was bought 9 years ago and has still had no repairs other than tyres, brake pads and servicing. Now the wife still has it and has spent nothing on it. As for the Jeep, I have only had one car previously that I have had to spend more in repairs than the XJ and that was an EF Falcon Futura.
So yes there are shit loads of issues so get the XJ as cheap as possible because there will be money that needs to be spent. Anyone who says different is either niaive or a bull shitter. Now I am not trying to put you off but just calling it as it is. I love the Jeep and am happy to spend bucks on it, shit I need to spend 3k in the next two months getting diff repairs. So expect to spend $ on it unless you get very lucky and all the issues that arrise after 10-12 years have already been done for you.....;).

Regards A

Cypher
18-10-2012, 08:03 PM
I paid $2500 for mine and tbh it was in pretty poor shape, like AG I've prob spent over 2k doing up things on it with a list that keeps on growing. But am I unhappy with it? No way, always manages to put a smile on my face every time I take it off road.

Raisins78
18-10-2012, 09:02 PM
I Bought mine for $2000 (1995) with no Aircon, and due to where I live (In the middle of WA in the desert, with 45-50 degree days in summer) he dropped his asking price from $4500 to $2000 just to get rid of it.
I found a wire rubbed through to the blower, blown fuse and nothing else.
Re- insulated the wiring, replaced the fuse, and the Aircon works a treat!

Mine has 200,000km's too, but no engine issues, runs like a dream.
I have done a full service, every oil, fluid, filter, belt, hose etc has been changed (almost...O2 sensor on its way)
Replaced most of the engine sensors, overhauled the brakes, doing the rear diff seals this weekend.......Not because it needed everything above done, but im just someone who prefers to take every precaution so it is reliable.
Cost for the above was $2000 for the car, Approx $800 for everything else....now I'm happy its as reliable as a new car...
After market mod's are getting done too...and they are cheaper than most...so you save again.
Check out my thread for the build so far...
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1325459#post1325459

layback40
18-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Put it this way I spent 2k in the first six months of ownership just on repairs. Mine was emaculate when I got it. Unfortunatly unless you really know cars and have the opportunity to dismantle it prior to purchase a lot of issues remain hidden.
BTW Shakes saying they are no worse than any other car, I think is a little misleading. When I was married we had an 02 Camry that was bought 9 years ago and has still had no repairs other than tyres, brake pads and servicing. Now the wife still has it and has spent nothing on it. As for the Jeep, I have only had one car previously that I have had to spend more in repairs than the XJ and that was an EF Falcon Futura.
So yes there are shit loads of issues so get the XJ as cheap as possible because there will be money that needs to be spent. Anyone who says different is either niaive or a bull shitter. Now I am not trying to put you off but just calling it as it is. I love the Jeep and am happy to spend bucks on it, shit I need to spend 3k in the next two months getting diff repairs. So expect to spend $ on it unless you get very lucky and all the issues that arrise after 10-12 years have already been done for you.....;).

Regards A
Hey AG,
You forgot to mention that you are a mad man with a death wish & you take your frustrations out on your Jeep !! **):hammer::wall::0=

Dustbowl
18-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Hey AG,
You forgot to mention that you are a mad man with a death wish & you take your frustrations out on your Jeep !! **):hammer::wall::0=

Hahahahaha good observation layback :p

I beat my XJ mercilessly and she wants more, and I love her to death and would never sell her (I got your jeep thing now it burns when I pee :p) the major stuff (engine, tranny, suspension and chassis) are all ready to survive two nuclear wars, but over the life of the car pissy stuff at a reasonably constant rate happens, like sensors and seals, however the jeep never has become undrivable,
I worked a farm mechanic for a couple of years and saw many trucks face the same abuse, often to an ugly fate, through it all the old girl stands proud... the jeep is my vehicle of choice.

Just banter him down On the price a little ;)

anthonygubbin
19-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Hey AG,

Now Layback haven't you been told before about using icons ;););). Mad man maybe, death wish only sometimes; comes with being mad. As for taking my frustrations out on the Jeep I am thinking it s the Jeep that causes me the frustrations.... Penguin.

Regards A

layback40
19-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Now Layback haven't you been told before about using icons ;););). Mad man maybe, death wish only sometimes; comes with being mad. As for taking my frustrations out on the Jeep I am thinking it s the Jeep that causes me the frustrations.... Penguin.

Regards A

Hahahahahahaha
I have been told many time by the best of them !
Think I am going deaf !
I only take notice of people older than me ! & they are becoming fewer & fewer.
I would love to get FC's Icons, they are the best!

jeepboy91
19-10-2012, 10:21 AM
iv only owned mine for about 2 weeks. Paid 3600 for it (probably shouldve paid less) and its got its problems but i love it... i havnt yet found somewhere i cant make it go and fuel economy isnt that bad for someone with a foot like mine so id have to say get it just be prepared

junglejuice
19-10-2012, 12:37 PM
For every bad report of any make Jeep included there will be a good report, I spent very little on mine for the first several years of ownership, I have had it for 9yrs now and admittedly I have done a fair bit to it now a lot of that has been mods, not repairs and then a lot of the repairs have been the result of mods.
I have had to replace the front brake rotors, the water pump twice, the CPS in the dissy and the radiator.
I have had to have the rear diff rebuilt but ithink that was in part due to not extending the brake lines and having water over the bonnet.
So for me I am quite happy.

As for the 2001 model in question they normally have the inferior (for offroad use) low pinion front diff as opposed to the high pinion front diff fitted to earlier models, they also have the most prone to cracking head of any of the models but this isn't a big deal if looked after.
As they generally run an immobiliser that can be a source of problem just like any car with a factory immobiliser.
Common faults, oil leaks, not too hard to fix, engine mount failures especially passenger side, also no biggie, sensor failures due to age also common accross other makes.
And of course the usuall for any car that is over 10yrs old, radiator, brakes, shocks etc.
The one biggie to be aware of is the front wheel bearings check them out for any play, if any is detected change them immediately as the front wheel will come off if they fail, not a big job or an expensive one if you are handy with the tools, depsite what Toyota driveers will tell you an Xj can be cheaper for parts then their beloved 'cruisers, same applies to suspension lifts if you do it properly on both makes..
I love my Xj, it is no secret on here that I am a fan of the pre-update 94-97 models but to me an Xj is an Xj.
Do some reading and then have another look.

Where abouts are you located? Maybe another AJOR member could have a look with you for an informed second opinion.....

Cheers, JJ

P.s. welcome aboard....

Dustbowl
19-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Where abouts are you located? Maybe another AJOR member could have a look with you for an informed second opinion.....

Cheers, JJ

P.s. welcome aboard....

Ooh me! Me! I volunteer!! :mrgreen:

Lots of good pointers there JJ I love listening to you spool off these stockpiles of knowledge :mrgreen:

Gildo
19-10-2012, 01:28 PM
@ 200,000KM, if the cooling system has not all its parts replaced it will need it done soon.
Radiator, Water pump, thermostat and hoses - replace the lot.
Mechanically that is the most common cause of death.
If it does not have a fully documented service history, replace ALL the fluids and sensors- this will give you a benchmark to start from and you wont be chasing phantom problems that can be a $20 sensor failure. Keep the good used sensors as spares these will get you home if necessary.
Axle and pinion seals and bearings front and rear.
Look for diff, block, cooling & transmission leaks- rear main seal is a common leak.
Does it have a tow bar? Bull bar? Other Mods?- anything non-factory should be closely scrutinized for correct fitment and purpose especially electrical additions.

JJs list is pretty good, but he didn't plug his headlight loom- get one from him and it will vastly improve standard headlight performance! ;)

This is a start, there is a much longer list and expect to spend some money to get it to that benchmark standard.
Stick with the 4.0, don't bother looking at a DIESEL XJ, walk away as fast as you can!

iwanajeep
19-10-2012, 04:27 PM
I got my 99 xj about 5 years ago. most of the money i have spent has been on modifications that aren't really required. Apart from normal service parts, The only things i have replaced are the front wheel bearings, water pump, and tappet cover gasket which is pretty good as it now has 270,000km on it. the last 80,000 have been hard ones. I cooked it at Jambo and that was all my fault because i changed the tappet cover gasket and plugs and then left a hose clamp off. i let it cool down before putting water in it and it is running as it always has. 90 deg. normal driving and just under 110 deg. crawling in low range
Every make has its lemons but i find the biggest lemons to be the cars that the original owners have neglected badly. The best cars will fail if neglected.
I recently got a 97 update and took it to jambo. i took the swaybar links out and put my old 31" tyres on it and it went everywhere my 99xj went the only problem was ground clearance which was overcome with the throttle. lol It has 2" spacers in the front which helped a little. we did rip the flares off on the onsite track and bumped into a tree but none of these were the xjs fault