Thinking of buying an xj sport. Good idea? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-10-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying an xj sport. Good idea?

Hi guys!
I'm new here and this is my first post!

I'm looking to get a 4x4 for doing a bit of travelling around Aus.
I've got a 2001 XJ Sport in mind from a collegue who is looking for $5500 for it.
The Jeep is a 4l auto straight 6 I believe with 200k on the odometer.

I'm hoping someone may be able to enlighten me if there are any issues with this model, or if there is something I may need keep an eye out for.
Is this a good price?

I love the look of the XJ, and kind of have my heart set on this one, but i want to be as sure as I can be of what I'm doing before I buy it.

Thanks in advance!

Tom.
Old 18-10-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tum View Post
Hi guys!
I'm new here and this is my first post!

I'm looking to get a 4x4 for doing a bit of travelling around Aus.
I've got a 2001 XJ Sport in mind from a collegue who is looking for $5500 for it.
The Jeep is a 4l auto straight 6 I believe with 200k on the odometer.

I'm hoping someone may be able to enlighten me if there are any issues with this model, or if there is something I may need keep an eye out for.
Is this a good price?

I love the look of the XJ, and kind of have my heart set on this one, but i want to be as sure as I can be of what I'm doing before I buy it.

Thanks in advance!

Tom.
Welcome onboard Tom, the info on here is endless and never ending, there are plenty of common issues that pop up from time to time, but like any car with regular maintenance can be minimal. If the car has a good service history and has been well cared for it will go for another 200000klm, they have a really strong engine.
I guess fuel cost should be considered if touring, the 4.0 like to drink, but highway cruising is not that bad.
I love my xj, it's only a weekend truck for myself but I am glad I chose an xj and won't be getting rid of it any time soon. Parts are readily available and relatively cheap, I find the car easy to work on and love it's power. Offroad they are great too, good value for money 4x4.
Have a look around the forum, you be blown away by the knowledge of jeepers on here and there willingness to help out when needed.
Again welcome, hope to see you in a jeep soon!!
31 x 10.5 Mickey thompson Baja MTZ
Old 18-10-2012
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

More than likely there will be S### loads of issues. But rather than me rattle off a long list as I noramally do when this question comes up, do some searching.

Regards A
Old 18-10-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
More than likely there will be S### loads of issues. But rather than me rattle off a long list as I noramally do when this question comes up, do some searching.

Regards A
Dig through the common mod's and cheap fixes stickies, that covers most of the things that can go wrong.

Head over to gojeeps website and have a good read through.

Go back have a good look over the car armed with this info, come back search the forum for specifics. And then ask I had a thread not long ago with quite a few gems of info in it as well.

Lastly, don't believe anyone that gets in your ear about jeeps being trouble, they are no worse or better than any other car out there.... Just need to know what your in for.
Old 18-10-2012
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Put it this way I spent 2k in the first six months of ownership just on repairs. Mine was emaculate when I got it. Unfortunatly unless you really know cars and have the opportunity to dismantle it prior to purchase a lot of issues remain hidden.
BTW Shakes saying they are no worse than any other car, I think is a little misleading. When I was married we had an 02 Camry that was bought 9 years ago and has still had no repairs other than tyres, brake pads and servicing. Now the wife still has it and has spent nothing on it. As for the Jeep, I have only had one car previously that I have had to spend more in repairs than the XJ and that was an EF Falcon Futura.
So yes there are shit loads of issues so get the XJ as cheap as possible because there will be money that needs to be spent. Anyone who says different is either niaive or a bull shitter. Now I am not trying to put you off but just calling it as it is. I love the Jeep and am happy to spend bucks on it, shit I need to spend 3k in the next two months getting diff repairs. So expect to spend $ on it unless you get very lucky and all the issues that arrise after 10-12 years have already been done for you......

Regards A
Old 18-10-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I paid $2500 for mine and tbh it was in pretty poor shape, like AG I've prob spent over 2k doing up things on it with a list that keeps on growing. But am I unhappy with it? No way, always manages to put a smile on my face every time I take it off road.
Old 18-10-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I Bought mine for $2000 (1995) with no Aircon, and due to where I live (In the middle of WA in the desert, with 45-50 degree days in summer) he dropped his asking price from $4500 to $2000 just to get rid of it.
I found a wire rubbed through to the blower, blown fuse and nothing else.
Re- insulated the wiring, replaced the fuse, and the Aircon works a treat!

Mine has 200,000km's too, but no engine issues, runs like a dream.
I have done a full service, every oil, fluid, filter, belt, hose etc has been changed (almost...O2 sensor on its way)
Replaced most of the engine sensors, overhauled the brakes, doing the rear diff seals this weekend.......Not because it needed everything above done, but im just someone who prefers to take every precaution so it is reliable.
Cost for the above was $2000 for the car, Approx $800 for everything else....now I'm happy its as reliable as a new car...
After market mod's are getting done too...and they are cheaper than most...so you save again.
Check out my thread for the build so far...
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...59#post1325459