PDA

View Full Version : Stupid female question time: Uni joint removal/replacement

JEEPCHIK
03-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Yes, I know it's another stupid female jeeper question and who better then me to ask it :p

I discovered today that my right hand front axle uni ( in behind the hub) is nearly buggered. And the noise from the play it has is clunkering all through the front diff. How do I remove and replace this important little part on my awesome XJ?? I have briefly seen something in the past about using a bloody big hammer and bashing the crap out of the old one but I think that was on a tailshaft.

Any tips would be great. Doing the job this week along with replacing the other hub assy.

xjdavid
03-11-2012, 10:16 PM
This is what I would do. Go buy a 3/4 drive handle and socket the right size for the hub nut, can't remember but its around 32mm. You may get by with a 1/2" drive socket but I have sheared one off in the past. There is only 5 bolts to undo and the axil comes out. I would buy a balljoint/ujoint tool to help remove the uni. Go watch how to do it on tube. It can be done without the ujoint tool but the joints rust in and can be very hard to get out without the tool. Once a new joint is fitted they tend to get looser in the ears and the new Dana Spicer ujoints have weak c clips so make sure you locktight them in. If you go to a Brisbane Jeep Club Toolbox day somebody will help you.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

junglejuice
04-11-2012, 04:08 AM
The hub is 36mm.....

Tallpieman
04-11-2012, 05:47 AM
I did mine last weekend (TJ same as XJ) , I've got a press and it took a lot of pressure to get the originals out, and went with a bang when they did...
Lots of good info here http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm

Army Barbie
04-11-2012, 07:01 AM
If u don't want to buy a press, buy a blowtorch. I've always removed unis by using an old socket that is slightly smaller than the uni cap, putting the socket on one end and making sure there isn't anything under the opposite end that'll stop the uni from moving out. hit the socket with a hammer. If its really badly rusted in, then buy a blowtorch and heat up the area around the uni. Don't heat it for too long because what you're trying to do is only heat up the outside area to get the metal holding the uni in place to heat up and expand. It doesn't matter how much you ruin the old uni because you're obviously not going to use it again.
To out the new uni in, put the new uni in the freezer. This will make the metal shrink and make it a bit easier to put in. Sand and rust off and just before you go to put the new uni in, heat up where the uni will go, then put a bit of silicone spray on the area. Get the new uni and carefully tap it in. You definitely don't want to hit the new uni too hard because you'll upset the bearings.
It's got nothing to do with being a female. I can do it. ;)

Banshee
04-11-2012, 07:22 AM
This is one way of doing it on a JK. I used this method for mine. The only issue is that you have to be careful to centre the joint properly, as otherwise it can cause vibration similar to an unbalanced tyre at highway speed. (I still haven't got mine quite right.)

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6cpbiYPe4YY?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6cpbiYPe4YY?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

layback40
04-11-2012, 08:51 AM
its not that difficult JC !
I dont know if you can do it without removing the axle from the jeep. definitely easier with it out.
heat can be good if the caps are stuck. A BFH will normally do the trick.
Need to clean any rust etc off the holes where the caps fit. If you want to use something to loosen it (like WD40), best mix nail polish remover (acetone) & ATF in a 50:50 mix. its like WD40 on steroids. Soak it over night.
If you can get them, replace the uni with one that is grease-able & grease it after each time you go on a 4WD, especially if it involves water crossings. The idea being to use the grease to expel any water that may have found its way into the joint.

Good Luck

JEEPCHIK
04-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks for all the useful info guys. My dad has a ball joint press I will use when doing the job. Just read the link to Stu's page, looks fairly straight forward but knowing my luck and after seeing the old hub on the same side was basically welded to the Jeep, I suspect it's gonna be painful :hammer:

Fun times, I'll keep you all posted on how I go.

Banshee
05-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I think my JK had seen plenty of beach & salt before I got it. The hubs were rusted pretty solidly into the carrier. Took quite a bit of penetrant and banging with the BFH to get it out the first time!

JEEPCHIK
06-11-2012, 01:25 PM
I think my JK had seen plenty of beach & salt before I got it. The hubs were rusted pretty solidly into the carrier. Took quite a bit of penetrant and banging with the BFH to get it out the first time!

If I had a crowbar I would have been using that.