PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Springs....

kjparker
08-01-2013, 10:24 AM
With the work I was doing on my xj on the weekend, I noticed that the leafs were ever so slightly inverted when I had the front jacked up, putting more weight on the rear.

Given these are the factory originals, and are 16 years old, I'm not surprised they need attention....

I'm not really chasing lift, as I dont really do much offroad, mainly use it to go camping, so nothing hardcore.

Been looking around, and the chepest I have found for a set of springs for the rear is about 350 for a set of unknown branded springs, or about $380 for a set of Ironman. BOth of those give about 40mm lift which I presume is over STD height, which given mines a limited would be closer to 50 - 60mm I presume. Means I need to do the fronts as well....

Another option that I considered, given that when unloaded, and sitting on level ground was an add a leaf kit such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SpringForce-2-Front-2-Rear-Full-Lift-Kit-1984-2001-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-/180840502465?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item2a1aef14c1

Actually, These look like a better option...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SpringForce-2-Lift-Long-Add-a-Leaf-Kit-1984-2001-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-/170795355956?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep&hash=item27c4324f34

Any reason not to go the cheaper option?

rupicon
08-01-2013, 10:55 AM
What about just getting your springs reset

darksidecustoms
08-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Can't comment on one brand over another, but the height gained will be over stock Limited height. The Sport (with Up Country suspension) is 1" higher over this.

Dustbowl
08-01-2013, 11:05 AM
I have heard a rumour that you can use XA, XB, XC falcon springs under them,
I know they handle load much better, but so they fit?

anthonygubbin
08-01-2013, 11:53 AM

XD ute main leaf I believe is the one. ;)

Regards A

kjparker
08-01-2013, 11:55 AM

I havent been able to find any information online to support this theory....

I did manage to find the length of an XD falcon leaf is 55 inches, which from what I can tell is about 8cm longer than a jeep spring. Not sure what that is going to do to the geometry...

Dustbowl
08-01-2013, 12:19 PM
XD ute main leaf I believe is the one. ;)

Regards A

Thanks AG :mrgreen:

I havent been able to find any information online to support this theory....

I did manage to find the length of an XD falcon leaf is 55 inches, which from what I can tell is about 8cm longer than a jeep spring. Not sure what that is going to do to the geometry...

You know... That's probably the difference between an eye to eye vs along the spring measurement :p
The geometry can be corrected by longer shackles ;)

kyphonii
08-01-2013, 04:02 PM
The measurement from the front eye to the centre bolt is very important,

cherren
08-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Take your XJ down to your local spring manufacture, (look up under HV)

Tell them how stiff how high, I left my XJ in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon.

http://sealeysspringworks.com.au/products/

Some place like this

junglejuice
09-01-2013, 06:30 AM
I have tried the Falcon spring idea years ago, the main leaf was too long from memory but using one of the other leafs from the Falcon and fitting it into the Xj pack can make a huge difference in height and load carrying, also can make a huge difference to the ride (bad)....

junglejuice
09-01-2013, 11:45 AM
For my money if I were after new springs but not wanting a lot of lift but wanted load carrying and good ride I'd buy OME....

kjparker
09-01-2013, 12:20 PM
For my money if I were after new springs but not wanting a lot of lift but wanted load carrying and good ride I'd buy OME....

I dont mind used if that's what you meant, but there doesnt seem to be a lot available out there right now, at least not near to me.

The only xj's in wreckers anywhere near me are limited's and chances are they will be in the same condition as mine....

Cost is also a major factor right now, got a 6 month old at home, and only one income right now, so need to do this as cost effectively as possible.

Anyone know of pro / con for long vs short add a leaf kits?

ApacheResistance
09-01-2013, 12:26 PM
I dont mind used if that's what you meant, but there doesnt seem to be a lot available out there right now, at least not near to me.

The only xj's in wreckers anywhere near me are limited's and chances are they will be in the same condition as mine....

Cost is also a major factor right now, got a 6 month old at home, and only one income right now, so need to do this as cost effectively as possible.

In my general experience AAL kits are terrible. They work for a few months, and then they'll end up sagging worse than the ones you have now.

Do the entire pack. Lasts a LOT longer that way.

Bumpstops simply limit your flex. They will not cure the rear end saggage.

amlav
09-01-2013, 12:43 PM
You can try the extra leaf option . Around $300. Any spring/ suspension shop should be able to help.
Stiffens the ride a litlle bit but not to bad.
Cheers,
Andrei

junglejuice
09-01-2013, 12:53 PM

I was talking Old Man Emu....

I have used for several years an AAL and it was fine, the packs were reset at the same time the AAL was fitted but they didn't flex as well as the OME's.
For the price being quoted on here for an AAL though you could almost buy a set of new OME packs, much better IMHO.... (thats what I run)

kjparker
09-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Just got a price on OME, and was pleasantly surprised! Still need to add bushes in though

I can get a long AAL kit sent across to me from the US for $100 in my hands. Was quoted $340 from a local spring place to reset and add a leaf to my existing packs.

VooDoo2
09-01-2013, 09:42 PM
kjparker that i know from OCAU/Techwatch etc?

ApacheResistance
10-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Do they have any junkyards over there? I'm willing to bet you could build a bastard pack for cheaper and eliminate the sag. You'd just have to find out what pack would net closest to stock height. Hell you might even want like a 1" lift in the rear to compensate for the weight you'll put in it.

I know the Chevy s10s net about 2 inches of lift if you make a bastard pack out of them. It's one stiff ride though. :haha:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

junglejuice
10-01-2013, 03:56 AM
Just got a price on OME, and was pleasantly surprised! Still need to add bushes in though

I can get a long AAL kit sent across to me from the US for $100 in my hands. Was quoted $340 from a local spring place to reset and add a leaf to my existing packs.

With an AAL you get two things a firmer - harder ride (depending on the AAL) and a relatively short life span, this is due to the AAL having to do all the work as the original springs have sagged plus the more lift the AAL adds the worse the ride due to the stiffer spring added to gain the lift.
The AAL that I used was done by the spring works at the same time that they reset the leaf packs this resulted in a good ride with a small lift and better load carrying and was good for around 4-5yrs.

In hindsight I would have been better paying for a set of OME packs as they carry weight better then the stock packs, flex better then either the stocks or the AAL+stocks and cheaper...

kjparker
10-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Do they have any junkyards over there? I'm willing to bet you could build a bastard pack for cheaper and eliminate the sag. You'd just have to find out what pack would net closest to stock height. Hell you might even want like a 1" lift in the rear to compensate for the weight you'll put in it.

I know the Chevy s10s net about 2 inches of lift if you make a bastard pack out of them. It's one stiff ride though. :haha:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

We do, and I have looked at this route, but I dont have the luxury of time to be able to spend working on the vehicle to try differnt setups / combination of leaves etc to find one I like. I was hoping for a one shot solution!

kjparker that i know from OCAU/Techwatch etc?

Definetly from OCAU, I dont go to techwatch at all.

I presume your the Voodoo over there as well? :)

VooDoo2
10-01-2013, 06:17 PM
IM the voodoo from everywhere :)

Good to see your into jeeps. I have 4 of them atm :D

kyro
11-01-2013, 08:06 PM
just go the OME pack from ARB
you can push your bushes out or cut them out if money is tight and re use them but they are cheap to replace

Jeeping
23-01-2013, 03:08 PM
$380 for a set of Ironman. Both of those give about 40mm lift
The sales rep I spoke to on the phone said they have 5 leafs plus 2 'helper' leafs. Does this = less flex than stock springs?

Jeeping
10-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Who's got em on their XJ. Any good?

http://www.4x4superstore.com.au/p/4275669/leaf-spring-rear-0-40mm-lift-ironman-for-jeep-cherokee-xj-1994-on-.html

layback40
11-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Who's got em on their XJ. Any good?

http://www.4x4superstore.com.au/p/4275669/leaf-spring-rear-0-40mm-lift-ironman-for-jeep-cherokee-xj-1994-on-.html

Its good to see the price is on the way down!

Roler
27-10-2014, 07:43 AM

To dig this thread up; I'm currently adding to the list the review of my 17 yo leaf springs and curious how this ended up going as alternative?