Leaf Springs.... - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Leaf Springs....

With the work I was doing on my xj on the weekend, I noticed that the leafs were ever so slightly inverted when I had the front jacked up, putting more weight on the rear.

Given these are the factory originals, and are 16 years old, I'm not surprised they need attention....

I'm not really chasing lift, as I dont really do much offroad, mainly use it to go camping, so nothing hardcore.

Been looking around, and the chepest I have found for a set of springs for the rear is about 350 for a set of unknown branded springs, or about $380 for a set of Ironman. BOth of those give about 40mm lift which I presume is over STD height, which given mines a limited would be closer to 50 - 60mm I presume. Means I need to do the fronts as well....

Another option that I considered, given that when unloaded, and sitting on level ground was an add a leaf kit such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SpringFor...item2a1aef14c1

Actually, These look like a better option...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SpringFor...item27c4324f34

Any reason not to go the cheaper option?

Last edited by kjparker; 08-01-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ

What about just getting your springs reset
Old 08-01-2013
MudSplasher

Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts

Can't comment on one brand over another, but the height gained will be over stock Limited height. The Sport (with Up Country suspension) is 1" higher over this.
Old 08-01-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I have heard a rumour that you can use XA, XB, XC falcon springs under them,
I know they handle load much better, but so they fit?
Old 08-01-2013
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbowl View Post

XD ute main leaf I believe is the one.

Regards A
Old 08-01-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbowl View Post
I havent been able to find any information online to support this theory....

I did manage to find the length of an XD falcon leaf is 55 inches, which from what I can tell is about 8cm longer than a jeep spring. Not sure what that is going to do to the geometry...
Old 08-01-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
XD ute main leaf I believe is the one.

Regards A
Thanks AG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjparker View Post
I havent been able to find any information online to support this theory....

I did manage to find the length of an XD falcon leaf is 55 inches, which from what I can tell is about 8cm longer than a jeep spring. Not sure what that is going to do to the geometry...
You know... That's probably the difference between an eye to eye vs along the spring measurement
The geometry can be corrected by longer shackles