PDA

View Full Version : Small cracks on headlight

sirlitchfield
29-03-2017, 09:51 AM
I was washing the car when I noticed small cracks in the headlight front part of my Jeep Cherokee, there is no yellowness or oxidation happening just small cracks in the center or it. I assume this is because the head of the light bulbs? Does anyone know if those headlight restoration kits will fix this issue with some sanding and buffing?

skipperau
29-03-2017, 10:44 AM
I was washing the car when I noticed small cracks in the headlight front part of my Jeep Cherokee, there is no yellowness or oxidation happening just small cracks in the center or it. I assume this is because the head of the light bulbs? Does anyone know if those headlight restoration kits will fix this issue with some sanding and buffing?

Is it fine crazing, or actually cracked as if it's copped a hit?

Either way, no, a headlight restoration kit won't fix it, it can reduce the visibility of the crazing but won't fix it.

Doug.

sirlitchfield
29-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Nah not cracked from a hit, its just like in the center of the light cover where most of the heat has accumulated and created a rough surface which looks like little cracks.

skipperau
29-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Nah not cracked from a hit, its just like in the center of the light cover where most of the heat has accumulated and created a rough surface which looks like little cracks.

Crazing. So, you are probably right, it might be a heat issue. Often happens in plastic headlight installations where the owners put in uprated bulbs (90/80W or 100/90W for example) in an attempt to get better visibility at night. The effect is worst when the average speeds are lower, this reduces the amount of heat they can bleed off into the environment.

Make it your mission one weekend soon to go through every bulb in the car and make a note of what you've got and buy spares. Pop them in your toolkit or glovebox and you'll always be covered if you blow a bulb on the road. You'll almost never get a ticket for a blown taillight for example if you tell them you can swap it out immediately.

Doug.

sirlitchfield
29-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Thanks i'll be sure to do that.. so the restoration kits out there would not really help?

skipperau
29-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Thanks i'll be sure to do that.. so the restoration kits out there would not really help?

In my opinion no, if you want to take on a job that will occupy a few hours and produce a minor improvement in looks, go for it but at this stage I think you wouldn't see enough benefit to make it worthwhile..

Doug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sirlitchfield
29-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Hmm maybe putting a light film of tint on the headlights will cover it up..

skipperau
29-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Hmm maybe putting a light film of tint on the headlights will cover it up..

Yep, that'd work. Check the legalities of it first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk