Power Steering - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-11-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIIIO View Post
Yeah same pump LHD or RHD. If you're prepared to mount a seperate res and a cooler, the PSC is a good choice. I wouldn't loose the trans cooler, just add another for the PS cooler (I run an XJ trans cooler for my TJ's PS). If you're going to have the box rebuilt, tell the bloke doing the work that you're going to run more pressure through it.

The other thing to consider (always more things!) are the steering links/ends.. Factory XJ TR ends and tie rod/draglink are pretty weak, so it might pay to beef them up too. On an XJ I'd consider beefing up the steering box mounts (known to crack). The sector shaft on the box will be under more pressure (or actually you'll be able to put more pressure on it) with the new pump, so take it easy on full lock..

Or, you could replace the stock pump
I'm upgrading to a large B&M auto cooler with thermo that will be more than capable without the stock external cooler so i was thinking i'll use the stocko instead of trying to find room for another cooler for the steering in the already cramped engine bay. That or the psc heat sink coolers look the goods.

Heavy duty tie rod and ends is going on with the bigger lift next week, larger tie rod ends for the draglink are ordered and on there way, they will be fitted at the same time.

So only thing to upgrade that isn't already in motion is the stock draglink and bracing the mounts.

You've got hydro assist on your tj? if i read your forsale ad properly. What did you do for a heavy duty draglink?

Thanks for the info carvs, handy stuff as always

Last edited by XJames; 26-11-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

XJames did you decide which one your getting ? and from where ?
Old 08-12-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJames View Post
I'm upgrading to a large B&M auto cooler with thermo that will be more than capable without the stock external cooler so i was thinking i'll use the stocko instead of trying to find room for another cooler for the steering in the already cramped engine bay. That or the psc heat sink coolers look the goods.

Heavy duty tie rod and ends is going on with the bigger lift next week, larger tie rod ends for the draglink are ordered and on there way, they will be fitted at the same time.

So only thing to upgrade that isn't already in motion is the stock draglink and bracing the mounts.

You've got hydro assist on your tj? if i read your forsale ad properly. What did you do for a heavy duty draglink?

Thanks for the info carvs, handy stuff as always

Sorry, I've just seen this now...

My steering is totally different from stock.
I have a highsteer cross over set up made from solid 1-5/8s chrome molly with 1/2 tonne TRE's

But, I think Rubicon Express make a chrome molly upgrade to the stock tierod/draglink. It would be a wise upgrade on the XJ..

Places like Extreme Motorsports in Northgate Bris can make entire new steering links that are heaps stronger than stock, I know a bloke that had his XJ done for around 1K.. expensive but bullet proof. The same steering that they use on the Hunter Racing ZJ...
Old 08-12-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIIIO View Post
But, I think Rubicon Express make a chrome molly upgrade to the stock tierod/draglink. It would be a wise upgrade on the XJ..

Places like Extreme Motorsports in Northgate Bris can make entire new steering links that are heaps stronger than stock, I know a bloke that had his XJ done for around 1K.. expensive but bullet proof. The same steering that they use on the Hunter Racing ZJ...
RE make a replacement cromoly tie rod with heavy duty ends which ive already installed but they dont make a draglink to suit rhd.
Ill have to look into extreme motorsports for a replacement draglink ive seen the hunter racing zj and its definately the goods. Doin a trip to brisbane early next year, would be good to drive home with an even stronger steering setup. Thanks alot for your input.
Old 08-12-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oscar still looking at the Psc from quadratech. Im going to finish off the new oil cooler setup and probally get the steering box rebuilt to handle more pressure before i install the pump though so its looking more like a long term mod
Old 08-12-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cool...i'm starting to look for a replacement cos mines stuffed.