What did you do to your WK Grand today? - Page 142 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-05-2022
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_char View Post
How’s the wind noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite good actually, virtually nothing upto 90kmh, 110 is just a slight Hum, 120 starts getting a bit loud but nothing serious, still able to hold a conversation without raising your voice. All in all it isn't any worse than the road noise.

I am going to try playing around a bit with the wind damper to see if I can improve it, but if I can't, I am quite happy with the way it is.

Just on a side note, I have the Chief roof rails and the Rhino pioneer platform rack fitted, as Chief didn't have any platforms available when ordering.
The rhino bars run from front to back, where the Chief Bars runs from side to side, don't know if this makes any difference to airflow, noise etc.
Old 13-05-2022
Established Member

Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCheese View Post
Good call on the Chief rails and Pioneer platform - I've got the same setup and pretty happy with it. I found aligning the rails was a bit of a bitch as a result of not going the full Chief system though
Yeah it was a bit tight and fidley bolting it too the roof, luckily I had the young fella with me who is handy on the spanners and has smaller more agile fingers than me.

and the combination of the 2 systems works out at about 300 bucks cheaper than a full Chief system
Old 13-05-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 712 Times in 395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post
I am going to try playing around a bit with the wind damper to see if I can improve it, but if I can't, I am quite happy with the way it is.

Just on a side note, I have the Chief roof rails and the Rhino pioneer platform rack fitted, as Chief didn't have any platforms available when ordering.
The rhino bars run from front to back, where the Chief Bars runs from side to side, don't know if this makes any difference to airflow, noise etc.
I improved mine a bit by making sure the front crossmember that goes side-to-side on the Pioneer platform was completely behind the line of the Chief air dam so the air could escape 'upwards' as best as possible.

I think Chief/Pioneer combo is a bit noisier than the full Chief setup, which has a more slimline and bevelled 'frame', as well as having a complete gap for the air trapped by the air dam to escape, as opposed to it being blocked in parts by the 'vertical' planks on ours. But overall, I'm happier with this setup, especially with the price difference as you mentioned. I managed to pick up my platform for ~$300 off RRP on gumtree too, so even more savings

Old 14-05-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 305 Times in 191 Posts

I replaced both my headlight bulbs and finally got around to fitting my EGR pipe delete plates. My EGR has been switched off for 70k km of its 82k km with a catch can from brand new and it still has gunky residue on the intake side of the tube. I also have a bit of seep at the intake pipe connection to the manifold which is interesting.

Can't imagine what it would be like with EGR working and no catch can.
Old 23-05-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 356 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Good call on the Chief rails and Pioneer platform - I've got the same setup and pretty happy with it. I found aligning the rails was a bit of a bitch as a result of not going the full Chief system though
i also have that combo and have had mine on the car for years . It was an absolute bitch to get to fit properly and received zero help from Bill or the other muppets at chief. Bill has to be the biggest arrogant wank i have met.

I have a light bar underneath the pioneer rack and have no wind noise at all .
Old 24-05-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 712 Times in 395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsarg View Post
i also have that combo and have had mine on the car for years . It was an absolute bitch to get to fit properly and received zero help from Bill or the other muppets at chief. Bill has to be the biggest arrogant wank i have met.

I have a light bar underneath the pioneer rack and have no wind noise at all .
Haven't met or spoken to Bill, but can't say I've had the same experience with the Chief team - very helpful when it came to organising local pickup a couple of times from their distributor and also sorting out a missing part issue.

Not making excuses for them, but I'd say the unwillingness to give advice was because you were trying to put together a combo that wasn't officially signed off on. I had a similarly brief conversation with Offroad Animal when I was looking into mounting the pioneer platform to their rails.

Old 25-05-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 356 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Haven't met or spoken to Bill, but can't say I've had the same experience with the Chief team - very helpful when it came to organising local pickup a couple of times from their distributor and also sorting out a missing part issue.

Not making excuses for them, but I'd say the unwillingness to give advice was because you were trying to put together a combo that wasn't officially signed off on. I had a similarly brief conversation with Offroad Animal when I was looking into mounting the pioneer platform to their rails.
my issue was not with the fitment of the pioneer tray but the fact my rails didn't ship with the spacers . When fitting mine did not line up properly and i was trying to get some assistance . Rather than send out some 2cent spacers he just refused to listen and suggested i was fitting it wrong .

Ended up being that i did need the spacer to fit the rails correctly, even when i had a spare tyre on the rack when fitting it . It was more the way they dealt with it that pissed me off. If the rails were not supposed to be used with other products then they should not sell the rails on their own .

It's not just my dealing with bill that has been sour . A few guys i roll with have had issues with bill and quality control. esp with the sliders .

you say it wasn't officially signed off and i get that but all the media releases for the rails had pictures where it was mounted to the pioneer tray so as a business owner in a niche business wouldn't you think you would assist customers with questions , especially considering how stupidly expensive his products are when he moved production from australia to overseas .
Post New Thread  Reply