Just waiting for my new JK wrangler - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-11-2007
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default How long have you waited?

Well, this thread has been quiet for a while and I got some news this morning from the dealer .

I ordered my JK (unlimited CRD manual) back in August, I knew that I would have to wait a while as I wanted a Detonator Yellow one. No problems DC say, I missed the August / September production run so it would be built on the Oct / Nov run for a Feb delivery.

Today I get a phone call from my dealer saying its now due to be built in Jan and delivered in March. But the plus side is the 16" wheels have been discontinued for the Sport and all 08 JK's will come with the 17" wheels from the Rubi .

I know I could have had one earlier if I picked another colour or an Auto, I figure if you are going to buy a new vehicle you might as well make sure you get what you want as you will have it for a while (at least I will any way).

So how long have you all waited?
Old 16-11-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Just waiting for my new JK wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJ View Post
Well, this thread has been quiet for a while and I got some news this morning from the dealer .

I ordered my JK (unlimited CRD manual) back in August, I knew that I would have to wait a while as I wanted a Detonator Yellow one. No problems DC say, I missed the August / September production run so it would be built on the Oct / Nov run for a Feb delivery.

Today I get a phone call from my dealer saying its now due to be built in Jan and delivered in March. But the plus side is the 16" wheels have been discontinued for the Sport and all 08 JK's will come with the 17" wheels from the Rubi .

I know I could have had one earlier if I picked another colour or an Auto, I figure if you are going to buy a new vehicle you might as well make sure you get what you want as you will have it for a while (at least I will any way).

So how long have you all waited?
... Detonator yellow hey... well.. you'll turn heads ..thats for sure. I'm not sure whether you're aware but it appears all the manuals (CRD) from the recent shipment... and any further shipments..will be supplied with a 3.21 diff ratio ! The original few shipments in the manuals were advertised and supplied as having 4.1 diffs . It appears Jeep U.S. have even dropped the 4.1 diff in all the models bar the Rubicon.... and now slotting in 3.73's as the highest ratio available on the Sahara & Sport... and the ratio specified if you go the 'Tow Group'...as they like to call it.. I for one... am a little dissappointed. It appears from others on the site...that 4.1...while allowing for some impressive crawl figures in low range... still puts the revs too high for general highway work and probably pushing economy figures down. I've test driven an Unlimited with 3.21's.. and while it's driveable on it's stock 255/75 R17's... fifth gear is marginal...and 6th is a waste of time. So much for the ultra low first gear for off road work...as it's been negated by the gearing. No 2nd gear take offs in this configuration ! The auto...strangely enough..is getting 3.73's ?? I would have thought if anything they would go the other way and allow the torque converter to compensate. I've fired off a few emails to D.C. Australia to see if 3.73's are an 'order option' on the manual. After all..if you plan on towing...you should be running 3.73's even according to Jeeps recommendations ! ...and I don't feel you should be forced to buy an auto. Still waiting on some feed back from D.C. I went through all this with the TJ and 3.07 gearing and while it's an achievable fix (at our expense mind you)...I don't think it should be necessary. Love the engine in the diesel ...but I just feel it's been badly compromised with this gearing set up. Just thought you might want to know...if you didn't already .
Old 16-11-2007
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Diff Ratio's

Thanks J.B.

I had seen this (ratio change) on the US forums but really didn't think anything of it at the time. Yes it would make sense that they are doing it for ours as well. To tell you the truth I didn't think to ask my dealer the other day about it. I will be interested to hear how you get on with those E-mails to DC and the outcome. Plus of course how much will this option will cost.
My dealer quoted me $750 for a towbar as well (thought it was a bit excessive) although he didn't mention any diff ratio change only the license plate relocation. (saw a MOPAR one for US$140 and 7pin cable for US$74)
Old 16-11-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just waiting for my new JK wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJ View Post
Thanks J.B.

I had seen this (ratio change) on the US forums but really didn't think anything of it at the time. Yes it would make sense that they are doing it for ours as well. To tell you the truth I didn't think to ask my dealer the other day about it. I will be interested to hear how you get on with those E-mails to DC and the outcome. Plus of course how much will this option will cost.
My dealer quoted me $750 for a towbar as well (thought it was a bit excessive) although he didn't mention any diff ratio change only the license plate relocation. (saw a MOPAR one for US$140 and 7pin cable for US$74)
.. Well Jasper..if I hear any further from DC I'll post it here. In the mean time..it appears the info I just gave you, whilst correct for the current shipment of CRD manuals in the country... may be incorrect for '08 build models. Kalani I believe (see 2008 CRD JK..just recently posted) has received information that there will (hopefully) be an option to order 3.73 diffs, rear locker only and front sway bar disconnects on the CRD at least. I don't know yet whether this will apply to both manuals and automatics though. While I had hoped to order mine with 4.1 gears, this appears to no longer be an option.. although I'm led to believe that 3.73's isn't too bad a compromise though. Just to put your mind at ease...I'd clarify what ratio you're getting. As I've said elsewhere...if your local dealer is anything likes ours.. they appear to have little understanding of the whole 'ratio' thing. I maintain..whilst I only drove the car a short time...that 3.21's let the diesel down dramatically... Love to see some pics of the yellow monster when you take delivery... sort of like 'bumblebee'..out of the new Transformers movie. (ps. ...no I haven't grown up yet )
Post New Thread  Reply