Harmonic Balancer? Belt slipped - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-09-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Harmonic Balancer? Belt slipped

Heya, just replaced the belt on the jeep (97). Went to leave the house and was greated by a horrible noise as soon as I started it, shut it off immediately and popped the hood....

The crank shaft pulley has slipped foreward about 20mm (the belt slipped off and was jammed behind, between the pulley and the housing. The sound was the mech fan clipping the crankshaft pulley, I think I shut the engine off quick enough before it damaged the mech fan.

How do I fix this? Looks like the ring that the belt rides on the crank shaft pulley has slipped foreward. Is this something that I can can just press back on or is something stuffed and needs to be replaced. Driveway job or mechanic?

Will try and get a picture up.
Old 23-09-2011
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Yep ... a pic for confirmation ...

But its an easy enough replacement ...

Pretty sure theres a writeup on here somewhere ... including a tip about using a longer bolt ... initially ... to get the new pully started on the shaft ....
Old 23-09-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So if it's replacement, is it a part I can grab from one of the auto shops or is it a rockauto order. Also the fsm mentions a special tool for removing it. Any thoughts?
Old 23-09-2011
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Think a mob in Albury or somewhere do a replacement ... Available through Bursons etc ...

Wooders or anybody similiar should have one ..... exxy to get mailed from US due to weight I would think ...

I got bent over at the dealers for one on the last XJ.

You'll need to rempve a few bits to get workspace on the thing ...
Old 23-09-2011
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Hi Rosszh, it is fairly easy. The hard part will be cracking the nut. I took mine to a mech and for $60 he fitted it while I helped. He also had a special tool to undo the nut, which did not require locking up the crank. All I did was take out the aircond thermal fan and that was it and the belly plate. You will need a new balancer and a bolt the same diameter as the original but about an inch longer. You will need a balancer puller to. No need to remove radiator as there is enough room, instead take off belly plate

Steps:

remove belly plate/sump guard
remove thermal fan
undo nut
screw on puller and remove balancer
fit new balancer ensuring the key is in place
use longer bolt to pull the pully in and the put back on the old bolt (shorter one)
fit new serpentine belt
replace fan

regards A

Last edited by anthonygubbin; 23-09-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 23-09-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

righto, here are some pictures. The engine was chirping pretty loudly when cold before, thats why I put the new belt on but maybe it was the balancer. Does it look like the whole thing is stuffed or can the belt portion be pressed back on the wheel (sorry for the pics not much room for a camera in there)

got quoted $140ish from Bursons in Melbourne for a new one, where can I get the puller for it?

Last edited by rosszh; 23-09-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 23-09-2011
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

You can replace the rubber (not yourself) but it will be about the same by the time they vulkenise it in.

regards A
Post New Thread  Reply