Confused over thermostat - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Confused over thermostat

I learned how to check codes and did them for the first time today.

It threw me code 17, which is about the engine not running at a hot enough temperature.

the fix on Go-Jeep's site seems to be to check the thermostat and circuit.

So, is the first thing i need to do:
1) buy a new thermostat? (I have had the car 6 months, have not replaced it in that time, and don't know when it was done before i got it.)

2) If i do get one, do i get the 195 degree one or not? Reading the sticky on this section of the forum about overheating has only confused me, as everyone seems to have a different opinion.

3) If i am to get one, is that the sort of thing you can walk in and buy at Super Cheap (are they fairly generic), or will i need to get one from Wooders, etc..

Now more lost than ever,
Puk
Old 01-10-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Did you warm up the Jeep first before checking the codes?

Go with the recommended part first, whilst you could test the old part buying new negates this step
Old 01-10-2011
No Winching

Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

you can buy genuine ones from jeep in bris pretty cheep

Help support the future of the forum
Old 01-10-2011
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Hey Puk my local Sprints got me one. They only had one listed so I couldn't go wrong. I reckon Super Cheap may be the same but if you have a different supplier up there say Bursons, I would try them first, cause if your local Super Cheap is anything like ours here in SA it is far from cheap.

Regards Anthony
Old 02-10-2011
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puk View Post
I learned how to check codes and did them for the first time today.

It threw me code 17, which is about the engine not running at a hot enough temperature.

the fix on Go-Jeep's site seems to be to check the thermostat and circuit.

So, is the first thing i need to do:
1) buy a new thermostat? (I have had the car 6 months, have not replaced it in that time, and don't know when it was done before i got it.)
The code is actually an indicator that the engine stays too cold for too long when the vehicle is moving ... NOT that isnt getting hot enough.

A stuck open thermostat is the most likely culprit ... but the CTS and the connector could also be the issue.

This might help ...

1995 FSM ...

17* ... Engine is Cold Too Long.
Engine coolant temperature remains below normal operating temperatures during vehicle travel (thermostat).

1997 FSM ...

17* Engine Is Cold Too Long.
Engine did not reach operating temperature within acceptable limits.

17** P0125 Closed Loop Temp Not Reached.
Engine does not reach 20°F within 5 minutes with a vehicle speed signal.

20*f is -6*c
160* is listed as a warmed temp in the FSM

First thing to do is verify the running temp .... Whats indicated on the gauge ?
How long does it take to warm up to at least 160* ?
Has the indicated temp changed significantly in the 6mnths you've owned the vehicle ?

Clearing the code and seeing whether the code 17 comes back might also be worthwhile .....

Testing the thermostat as tazwegion suggested is also a good move .... but if you remove the old one - that you dont know the history of ... you may as well replace it.

Quote:
2) If i do get one, do i get the 195 degree one or not? Reading the sticky on this section of the forum about overheating has only confused me, as everyone seems to have a different opinion.
You'll probably find a 190* or 192* is more commonly available .... 195* is NOT a nescessity ... as indicated by the listing of a 180* as a chrysler spare parts option.

Quote:
3) If i am to get one, is that the sort of thing you can walk in and buy at Super Cheap (are they fairly generic), or will i need to get one from Wooders, etc..
Yes ... Very generic .... Its a common as muck thermostat used in a bunch of vehicle brands and models for years .... Theres nothing special about it ....

Dayco DT14 series or Tridon TT1 & TT2000 series .... and theres other brands.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 02-10-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-10-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had the same issue after fitting my new radiator (I think was ADRAD from memory but was few years ago) which had the full copper tanks etc and far better flow. Anyway would warm up to bout 70 no probs then would never get hotter. replaced the thermostat with 180* i think which sprints said was stock?? Exactly the same so replaced with 195* and never had an issue since. sits stable on 90ish on the road and has never been over 105* workin hard in the sand. From what I was always led to belive around that temp is perfect?? Still that was with an aftermarket radiator as well so might not be the answer for you. In my experiance thermostats are cheap and is easy to change so just play till you get it right. The cost of extra fuel (and long term wear) will far outweigh the price of a thermostat and 1/2 hr of your time.
Old 03-10-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah,
I got my mechanic to throw one in, and he said that the problem wasn't a dud thermostat, it was NO thermostat!

Whoever had it before me must have ripped it out, so hopefully my economy might notice a little change, especially when cold.

Puk
Post New Thread  Reply