XJ wanders all over the road - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2011
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
Default XJ wanders all over the road

Just bought an XJ sport, had an alignment done on it and the bloody thing wanders all over the road, I have checked bushes and alignment and everything seems to be tight. 4 wheel laser alignment to specs and the same.
Any ideas. See my welcome post as a new Jeep owner and mechanic. Is this typical or what?
Rastus.
Old 06-11-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Um,
What tyres do you have?

Oliver

'18 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
'42 Ford GPW
Yaesu FTM-300DR

Old 06-11-2011
Lowranger Shocker

235/75/15 Maxxis 751 radials at 38 psi. My wife just came back from driving it the first time and said it is dangerous as it wanders all over the road. Which it does. I do not even like driving it. I read a long time ago when the XJ's were first introduced into Australia the fix for them. They were not aligned properly for right hand drive and I think it may have been upper control arm offset bushes that had to be done on a recall. I am not sure ofthis. But the vehicle does wander quite a lot even after have the alignment done. I am not too keen to keep driving it in the mean time. It has not been in an accident as I know ther first owner I am the second. Nothing is bent underneath nor has it ever been off road, It was just used to tow a caravan on sealed roads.
Rgds Rastus

Last edited by rastus2571; 06-11-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2011
Rated the trail

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Is your sway bar disconnected?
Old 06-11-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi,

Can you fine some 15" wheels (ie stock) and try them. Did the wheel alignment shop put the fronts to rear and rear to front etc? 38psi on 17" sounds pretty hard for a suspension system designed in 1982.

My 10c

'18 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
'42 Ford GPW
Yaesu FTM-300DR

Old 06-11-2011
Lowranger Shocker

Angry

I Posted wrong with 17 and edited to 15 inch rims. My XJ is bog stock factory standard apart from towbar. No the wheel aligner did not change rims. I know it has something to do with a recall that Jeep did with bushes for RHD cvonditions but as I said I cannot remember the exact fix. I did drop to 32 psi and it had no effect on the wandering. I have been searching the forums and they keep saying worn bushes but mine are like new and no play at all I have crowbarred everything under it and done a chassis drop check with measurements and all is within spec. I am sure it has to do with the bush fix. But I cannot find any info on it now......ARGGGGGHHHH.
Rgds Rastus.
Old 06-11-2011
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep'ers View Post
Is your sway bar disconnected?
No all is bog stock factory
Rgds Rastus.
Post New Thread  Reply