Engine drive belt WH CRD - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-05-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,334 Posts

Small cracks across the grooves on the belt are normal and not an issue, they will appear in a short space of time, lengthways cracks on the smooth side, fraying or high glazing of the surface means time for a new one.
A Dayco belt from Bursons or Repco is the more sensible solution when you need a new one and replacing it at home is easy and something all should be able to do if you travel.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 31-05-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

Is it advisable to carry a spare belt?
And at what mileage?

I can imagine the aussie jeep price, better get one in from overseas?
Old 31-05-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts

I've given the DAYCO part number, they are a surprisingly common belt, most places like Veales, Repco should have one. I'm prolly going to bring in a heap, although not much cheaper, I will always have them on the shelf when I need them.

Regards
Daz
Old 01-06-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotqld View Post
Is it advisable to carry a spare belt?
And at what mileage?

I can imagine the aussie jeep price, better get one in from overseas?
Change at 100,000km or if it's looking like there's too many cracks running at right angles to the belt. It's a very fiddly job to change one and not one you'd do on the side of the track. Plus it's not a part you'd carry as a spare like in the old days.
Old 01-06-2013
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Seeing cracks across the belt is normal. Seeing cracks along the belt, like lines following the belt, is a worry. The belts are designed so they don't snap, they are designed so they sheer off longways.

I bought a spare 2 years ago. Even though I carry tools with me always, they didn't save me when I had the old WG, so had to get it towed. The belt gave way at around 180K. Although the mileage on my WH is still low enough, I thought I'll buy one when I was buying parts from RockAuto.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 01-06-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 243 Times in 129 Posts

I carry one, ive broken 1 offroad and came close on a second, still only a 15 min job on the side of the track, unless its the mud you just went through that's caused the problem
Old 04-06-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenR View Post
The belt is a DAYCO 5070801

Regards
Daz
I was quoted this number: 7PK2035 (Dayco)
The Chrysler part number is 4891587AA

Then I came across a website called Findpart.org which lists a variety of alternatives

Just for interest; Bursons quoted $73. Car booked in for replacement at Jeep dealer - I wonder what they will charge?