Axle seal again?! - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-02-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Ok, taken the axle out. Doesn't look bent at all and there is no real sign it has been wearing here. Although on the outside, on the housing the seal doesn't seem to be sitting in there very tightly. Ordering a rock auto kit tommorow.. hoping they last and I haven't missed something. I'll seal them with RTV aswell. *fingers crossed* hope this solves it. Thanks for the link but it didn't seem to be working for me. Saying the "store is temporarily unavailable"

EDIT: Also I can't seem to find the stronger crown kit crown kit that you linked me (http://www.crownautomotive.net/produ...s/D44TJBK.html) on the Rock Auto website. Only Timken and National.

Last edited by Dylbinator; 16-02-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 17-02-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbinator View Post
Ok, taken the axle out. Doesn't look bent at all and there is no real sign it has been wearing here. Although on the outside, on the housing the seal doesn't seem to be sitting in there very tightly. Ordering a rock auto kit tommorow.. hoping they last and I haven't missed something. I'll seal them with RTV aswell. *fingers crossed* hope this solves it. Thanks for the link but it didn't seem to be working for me. Saying the "store is temporarily unavailable"

EDIT: Also I can't seem to find the stronger crown kit crown kit that you linked me (http://www.crownautomotive.net/produ...s/D44TJBK.html) on the Rock Auto website. Only Timken and National.
as far as I know rockauto dont sell crown stuff. maybe check out morris4x4, they have a lot of crown spare parts
Old 17-02-2015
Established Member

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
as far as I know rockauto dont sell crown stuff. maybe check out morris4x4, they have a lot of crown spare parts
Thanks Bonza.

Ok so I've been wondering. I've found heaps of stuff on the axle wearing etc but not much about housing wearing (Which is what I think the issue is). I was thinking if I get a hammer and punch, punch the housing in a few spots where the bearing sits, it will make a tighter fit on the bearing to stop movement (there is quite a bit of play where the bearing sits). Then also use some rtv to help seal it.

Thanks fellas.
Old 14-06-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys I have the same problem the axles seals keep leaking and there is big in and out moment on the axles changed the bearing kit three times and still no luck got a set of genuine ones coming hope that helps don't no what else to do

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 15-09-2016
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Check the axle where the seal meets for any grooving or wear, if so u might need a Speedi Sleev on it
had the same problem Speedi Sleve fixed it.It gives a nice flat surface for seal to rein of had about 5 years of abuse since still ok
Old 16-09-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

for anyone who needs to know as I just did this job a month ago as the RH seal began to leak, then after a week or two, oil began to fling everywhere over the back wheel

you need a pack of Timken set10 bearings. in the package you will find one axle bearing and the bearing retainer collar

axle seal part number is SKF18731 or CR18731. (SKF Bearings bought out CR years ago but still use the their part numbers) this along with the Timken bearing is the OEM seal that is in your Jeep

Speedi Sleeve or Redi Sleeve part number 99187

as an alternative to the SKF seal you can use National seal part number 9912. personally I think they are better

Redi Sleeves and National seals are usually cheaper than SKF and are a quality alternative, not some crap Chinese copy that will pack up in five minutes

all available from Rockauto, just enter the part numbers under search and it will bring them up.

if you want, apply a little RTV to the outside diameter of the seal, make sure you use the type that is diff oil friendly as the LSD and EP additives dissolve normal RTV. this is also something to be aware of when replacing the diff oil and you want to reseal the cover without using a gasket

but I didnt use any RTV as the seal was a neat fit into the housing, plus the the axle journal wasn't grooved so didnt use the speedi sleeve. today I took the wheel off and did a check and all was good

I'm a bit pi$$ed off with Aussie bearing suppliers. there is one company where I have literally bought hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bearings off them over the years under a company name. for the heck of it I made a personal enquiry via email and did not get a response. even a ki$$ my @rse would have been better than nothing. no wonder so many people don't buy local as the Yankee online parts suppliers are way in front of the game compared to local suppliers, and they answer enquiries
Post New Thread  Reply