over heating - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-12-2004
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im also having overheat problems.
Few days ago was 35 deg in melb and was running with a/c on high, temp went into red. Had to stop until cooled then ran with a/c off and appeared ok. Lost a lot of water from over flow reservoir.
Old 29-12-2004
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im also having overheat problems.
Few days ago was 35 deg in melb and was running with a/c on high, temp went into red. Had to stop until cooled then ran with a/c off and appeared ok. Lost a lot of water from over flow reservoir.
Old 29-12-2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default REPLACE THE RADIATOR CAP!

Dj_woody took a trip to Newman recently in his 01TJ and had exactly the same problem! It turned out that his radiator cap was opening at too low a pressure, causing the radiator to lose water into the expansion tank then for the temperature to rise (after losing water). This made the noise you've described and really had him spooked till he found out what it was. It is certainly the most unreliable part of your cooling system, replace it! Sounds too simple doesn't it, it did to Woody until he replaced it and he's had no more problems.

I took mine on the beach in Geraldton the other day in 40 degree heat. I didn't let the tyres down and it laboured like hell digging through the sand on the 225 H/T tyres with the aircon going until it eventually bogged down in some really hot sand (had to put my thongs on to let down those tyres). The temp needle got to about 75%, so it had a few notches till it hit the red, but the cap never opened into the expansion tank and it never made any noise. I've recently had my radiator flushed. It is a 97XJ.
Old 04-01-2005
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well i have had some problems since repairs recently, whatever they are i usually release the pressure cap so the water does not go into the cylinders and oil, if it might be a head gasket ! this buys a little time, also if it is a head gasket and you tighten thew cap it will leak onto the ground as well. if enough leaks into the bore , at start up damage can occur. always play it safe and depressurise the system temporarily until you get to the bottom of the problem. i have run the system depressurised for the last few thousand klms to re garage the vehicle. i am going to get it out and fix it next week as we are out of the happy period now, i did not want it to give me the shits over xmas, so i just stabled it to now.!! now i want it back and have the shits because i want to have some fun again !!
Old 04-01-2005
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oh yeah ! i had a new radiator fitted and supposedly bled system, never had a major problem before going to that farking dealer !! about one year before i had a new air cond system fitted, the mechanic (highway autos rockhampton) sorted the vehicle real well, he also replaced all the little hoses under the manifold and around the turbo at the same time. six months later i hit a kangaroo, now the aircond is ************ and their is a leak ! it was playing up ever since i got it back and just parked due to a stressfull family situation which caused me "not" to speedily return to the stealer !! he will see me soon !!