What has everyone done with a UHF? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettski View Post
I've got a GME 3440 and I've mounted it under the steering wheel. There is an empty spot there once you pull the trim panel off - I just made a small bracket to mount it level and it fits well - you put the panel back on and you can see it at all. I can hear it really well too.

Davidd made a comment a while back that the spot in question gets really hot in his car and didn't recommend putting anything there. I checked it on mine after long drives (3 hours plus) with the heater on (because the heating pips are just off to the left) and it wasn't too warm at all - YMMV.

B.
The overheating part is not due to the heater but the stereo amp that is in there in the Renegade pack.

I agree what was said might have been valid (this was all brought up in another thread a while ago) but I'd allready installed and so far no probs.
IPF 900xs
UHF
285/75x16 KM2s
Snorkel
Old 05-05-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone who have gone the Roof Options got pics?
Old 05-05-2008
pink bits r good

Location: i sometimes go to my own world, but it's ok they know me there
What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this is a gme 3200 i think the bigest question now is what uhf you are going to fit as that will make a big difference to where you put it
the 3200 or 3400 face can be mounted like this the 3400 face can be mounted on the center consol and the 3440 can fit in a number of spots but not up on the roof
sorry i am only talking gme as that is what i know

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
Old 05-05-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettski View Post
I've got a GME 3440 and I've mounted it under the steering wheel. There is an empty spot there once you pull the trim panel off - I just made a small bracket to mount it level and it fits well - you put the panel back on and you can see it at all. I can hear it really well too.

Davidd made a comment a while back that the spot in question gets really hot in his car and didn't recommend putting anything there. I checked it on mine after long drives (3 hours plus) with the heater on (because the heating pips are just off to the left) and it wasn't too warm at all - YMMV.

B.
hi mate. mine was initially installed under the steering wheel. i was having transmission problems and took it to a qualified electronics guy who installed radio equipment in cars and businesses, to get it checked. he took one look and just told me that it really wasn't a bright place to put it and if i was smart i would move it. quite politely but a little sarcastically. so i took his advice and moved it. he said the heat off the amplifier coupled with the heat off the radio in that confined space didn't seem like a good idea. if it works for you fine. under the steering wheel i didn't need an extension speaker and didn't have to drill into the console to fasten it. was actually a better spot apart from ther heat issue.
Old 05-05-2008
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey tiny, looks good.

can anyone spare some windex for this bloke though?
Old 05-05-2008
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
hi mate. mine was initially installed under the steering wheel. i was having transmission problems and took it to a qualified electronics guy who installed radio equipment in cars and businesses, to get it checked. he took one look and just told me that it really wasn't a bright place to put it and if i was smart i would move it. quite politely but a little sarcastically. so i took his advice and moved it. he said the heat off the amplifier coupled with the heat off the radio in that confined space didn't seem like a good idea. if it works for you fine. under the steering wheel i didn't need an extension speaker and didn't have to drill into the console to fasten it. was actually a better spot apart from ther heat issue.
Yeah - I appreciate the info. I haven't bolted it up under the amp - I fabbed a small bracket so there is a nice air gap between the radio and the amp. Plus, mine has never got hot (and I checked it on a 45 degree day) so not sure what the deal is there. Had it running all day on a 38 degree day while out on the trail and had zero problems... But, as you say, it could be an issue if the amp is getting warm (or worse).

B.
Old 05-05-2008
pink bits r good

Location: i sometimes go to my own world, but it's ok they know me there
What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetj View Post
hey tiny, looks good.

can anyone spare some windex for this bloke though?
it has been worse

i had just driven through a grasshopper swarm and with the days in the high 30s it was getting washed at night

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
Post New Thread  Reply