Upgrade from Vista to XP? - Page 10 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Gaming & Technology
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-04-2009
Pollie Waffle

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dont actually mind vista...

Using XP at the moment, but my home laptop is Vista...

as for you Carves, did you have to get a head of steam up for that computer first?
Old 30-05-2009

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got three machines, one with XP Pro, one with Vista Ultimate 64 bit and one with Win 7 RC1 64 bit. It took me three attempts to get Vista installed and up and running so I was comfortable with it. I'm definitely no Vista fanboi but I do like it. I rarely have problems with it. Most of my problems were older software that didn't like Vista (or wouldn't run on 64 bit OS). Win 7 so far is very impressive.....had none of the setup problems that I had with Vista, it seems faster although benchmarks don't show that. Vista's main problem is that it's not user/consumer friendly.......it needs fine tuning to get the best out of it and a lot of things seem to have been changed for cosmetic or bling reasons rather than functionality. It did take me a while but I have it running quite nicely now. I haven't booted into XP for about 3 months.

Having said all that.......Vista really doesn't do anything that XP won't do......(talking everyday computing here, not geek talk).......it just has more bling.....and most of that just slows it down. If you turn the bling off it looks pretty much like XP.....lol. I have a good feeling about Win 7 though.....time will tell.

With your IE problem Wooders......like most of the others have said, install Firefox. You will find there are still some web developers around who can't make their sites display properly in Firefox (Telstra's My PrePaid page is a classic example.....and they should know better)......for that there is a great little addon called IE Tab Lite. Right click a link and select Open in and IE tab and it opens a tab in Firefox using IE coding and displays it correctly. For pages you go to regularly you can set them to open in an IE tab every time.

For all the Mac fanbois......you enjoy your "one size fits all" Macs......they don't do the stuff I need to do. Accept the fact that some people have different systems than you.....and that some people have different requirements than you. I'm a gamer (have been for 40 years.....long before they were played on computers....lol) and Macs just don't do games.....not decent cutting edge ones anyway. They may be good at what they do but they certainly don't do everything that needs to be done.

Last edited by Blaktop; 30-05-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 31-05-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando_13 View Post
And with that attitude you will get Owned! Both are in the wild!
Well, I've never run any anti-virus myself with XP and had no problems, I ran a search on a PC I had been using for 2 years, going into all sorts of sites and never caugth anything because I had security set to medium and always checked before clicking ok, I also turned off the prieview paane in mail and only open e-mails I know about, because the prievew pane is what gets their foot in the door, it opens them the scripts inside run straight to your harddrive.
I had antivirus and quite frankly I think some of them are a scam, finding this virus, that virus every few week, I had a PC that wasn't even connected to the internet or having discs inserted and it was getting new virus's regularly somehow, even while it sat unpluged on the floor for 6 months, it got 6 new virus's somehow.
My ex had 2 different virus programs and still ended up having to reformat, due to a real virus, because she assumed everything was safe.
I have installed both XP32 and Vista64 on this Quad core PC and get the option at bootup for either, I gave up on Vista64 after 2 months it refused to work with my modem anymore, and nothing ran any better on it than on XP32 , I got sick of the "is this ok?" boxes with no obvious way to turn them off, and saw Blue Screens of Death on pretty much every game I tried to run on it. I should have brought XP64, but waiting to see how Windows7 is. Obviously Microsoft realise how bad Vista is seeing they are dumoping it so quick for a new OS, instead of upgrading it.
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............
Old 31-05-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am with you all the way on that one.....
Wait a few years till they sort its crap out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando_13 View Post
XP SP3 will be released soon and in tests runs Office apps quicker than Vista SP1.

Stick with XP, there is a reason why the most big Corps havn't switched to Vista, one word "Unproven".
Old 31-05-2009

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most of what a lot of people don't like about Vista is it's not familiar.....people don't know where to find the things they want to adjust because they're in a different place. Incidentally, you turn UAC off in your User Account page.
Old 31-05-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaktop View Post
Most of what a lot of people don't like about Vista is it's not familiar.....people don't know where to find the things they want to adjust because they're in a different place. Incidentally, you turn UAC off in your User Account page.
Vista is a bit like the difference between windows 3.1 and Windows 95.

However, you still need large amounts of memory and disk space to run it.
Yes memory & disk is cheap now.. But gone are the days when programmers developed software to operate with small computers etc.

I will be sticking with Windows XP & Windows Server 2003. Not to many large companies have invvested in Vista yet.

Last edited by NFI; 31-05-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 31-05-2009
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ

Vista is good. Very resource hungry, so yes - more memory and disk required.
I find vista is 10 times more stable than XP.

The biggest problem I have with Vista, is that it's a brand new operating system and there are many many pieces of 3rd party software that don't work with it. Simply because it hasn't been around long enough.

Vista does need a bit of tweaking but I think overall it beats XP hands down.

Also - you may aswell upgrade to Vista now, windows XP is soon going to be dropped by Microsoft as a support product. You can no longer buy a boxed XP product off the shelf, so vista is where it's headed anyway.

Windows 7 on the other hand... makes Vista look like a piece of dog turd. Very impressive. Install time is extremely short, and the boot time into windows impressed me. I am using RC1 now. If the RC is this good... hopefully the final product is even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donza View Post
"If ya want more inches.... stroke it"
Post New Thread  Reply