Bluetooth OBD2 and Android - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-09-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth OBD2 and Android

So instead of buying a Scanguage I purchased one of these bluetooth devices from ebay, for anyone who doesn’t know these devices plug into the OBD2 connector and then you use your smart phone with the correct software , in this case Android and Torque (URL may not work in IE, i used chrome)

The Bluetooth adapter was just under $17 delivered and took about 10 days. I then bought Torque from the Android market app which was around $5.

The device seems to work pretty well, it gives me KPL or Litres per 100 (average or instant). It also gives a lot of other info like temperatures, 0-100kph times, voltages, fault codes etc

The only downfall so far seems to be the battery life, I guess if you have a charger in your car then its no drama. I own an 96xj which I am lead to believe is the first year to come with an OBD2 connector (correct me if I’m wrong)

Just thought I would let everyone know that these do work with the XJ’s and provide a much cheaper alternative to the scanguage.
Old 16-09-2011
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Awesome! Will get online & purchase right now. I have been wondering if these would work with my 96 Limited & my android phone. Thanks for the thread.
Old 16-09-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

just bought one!

these little fellas are going to sell like hot cakes!!

4.88s, Chromoly ARBs, 35" MTZ, 6", Rear Discs Brakes
Headers,Air Raid TBS, intake,Tera Long Arm
Old 16-09-2011
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

I've had one of the blue tooth ODBII adapters for a while now. The only problem is that the ODBII port supplies power all the time, even with the ignition off. Sometimes you need to pull the adapter out and leave it out for 10 seconds or so and then plug it back in as it needs a reset so the bluetooth will connect again. Not a big deal and for the money a really good little device. I was thinking of cutting the power cable on the ODBII and wiring it to ignition on power so it resets the device everytime the ignition is on, all the other ODB11 wires are not active with the ignition off anyway for some reason it's just the power.

Cheers
Steve
Old 16-09-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Steve, yeah i noticed this too, my concern was also it could cause a flat battery if left for an extended period.

I guess its not hard to unplug and plug back in but your solution is tempting.
Old 16-09-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Anyone tried it with a diesel?

6500US $ is a bit much for a DRBIII Scan tool and my wallet.
Old 16-09-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
Anyone tried it with a diesel?

6500US $ is a bit much for a DRBIII Scan tool and my wallet.
Im sure a scangauge at $160 would fill your needs.

$22 for the bluetooth set up is worth a try though.
Post New Thread  Reply