Premium Diesel Fuel specifications - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-12-2022
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default Premium Diesel Fuel specifications

Hi All,

My understanding is that all premium diesel (various brands) contain additives compared to the standard Automotive diesel.

- Detergents for cleaning
- Corrosion inhibitors
- Anti foaming

From looking at the msds / spec sheets. It seems both level of fuels have the same cetane / lubrication values.
Example below
https://www.vivaenergy.com.au/quick-...a-sheets/fuels

From researching / questioning companies
Ampol Amplify
Cetane 47
Lubricity 423

Shell V power
Cetane 49
Lubricity 400

BP Ultimate
Cetane TBC
Lubricity TBC

Mobil Synergy Special (Believe uses Ampol)
Cetane TBC
Lubricity TBC

Caltex Techron D (Meets Australian standard. Would not provide tech sheet)
Cetane 46min
Lubricity 460max

Questions.

1. Does anyone know if the premium fuel contains emulsifiers or demulsifiers within the additives?

2. Does anyone know if premium diesel contains 2-5% biodiesel?
- NSW has mandate of 2% QLD mandate 0.5%.
- up to 5% without advertising at bowser.

3. Any other important/useful fuel related information to share?
Old 27-12-2022
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

Most diesel sold in Australia is either from Singapore or India.
Singapore diesel is good, Indian is c##p!
I know of a number of retailers that sell both normal & premium, yet they only have one diesel storage tank. They don't add at the service station unless they have a bug problem.
Places that have a lot of truck customers are good. They can't afford a tank of poor diesel. Mobil, Ampol, Caltex are all Singapore based diesel.
As far as additives go, there is a little blending at the shipping terminals. Melbourne Shell is often from Viva in Geelong.
You need to be more concerned with fine particles in the fuel, especially with CRD. You would be better having a second filter of 2 micron than worrying about snake oil additives.
You can add small amounts of of 2 stroke oil or ATF if you wish.
Old 27-12-2022
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Hi Layback40

Thanks for the response. I don't intend to be disagreeable but what evidence do you have that they are sourced from these locations? (looking to find out more info/confirm)

Is BP also sourced from Singapore?

Agree with the truck station comment.

With the additives added what is primarily used for controlling water contamination?

In regards to 2 stroke oil or ATF I am assuming you are talking about additional lubrication. Have you happened to do a wear scar test (HFRR) with these products?
What affect do these products have on the DPF? E.g do they increase soot or ash levels?
Old 27-12-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Interesting- all european brands providing high performance fuels like Shell, Esso, BP, focus on high cetane number with a minimum of 55. 49 is standard according to EN.
Also the fuel is always GTL no bio Diesel inside. You can tell that stuff is way thinner. If you have fuel leaks it will pour!!
The water suppressor is alkohol- it sucks up water. But only up to 0.2%. It‘s then burned.

The military does use 2 Stroke when using jet fuel to provide lubricity. But the cetane number will drop resulting a smoother engine run in electronic controlled vehicles. Retarding combustion.
Two stroke is designed to be burned- ATF is not. But it cleans out the combustion chamber like hell.
All major companies claim a lot of cleaning detergents inside those ultra fuels.
But the price difference over here is about 20cent per liter.

Standard diesel now contains up to 7 % bio. Not good, it hardends fuel lines very quickly.

Last edited by Deezelweazel; 27-12-2022 at 10:38 PM.
Old 28-12-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 848 Times in 475 Posts

A few months ago went past a BP at Grafton NSW big BP sign out the front said
2.09 pl for diesel ,very cheap at the time! Dived in filled the Jeep up looked at the
readout on the pump ,2.15 pl.! Had a crack at the manager ,he said if you had asked me first I would have sent you round the back to the truck pump!Really! I then asked what the difference was ,! He said the same tanker fills both tanks withe the same product!so I said right I want a refund on the difference No way would he do it! Blatant misleading advertising to start with.Contacted BP never had a reply.Now in NZ diesel price so far has ranged from 2.06 pl in Chrstchurch to 2.50 pl in Auckland! The 2012 WK2 fuel economy with two of us in it and luggage is around 8 lph on the open road. Just a side note decided to clean the earth strap chassis connection ,front right engine bay ,it had some corrosion.
Old 28-12-2022
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freejeep View Post
Hi Layback40

Thanks for the response. I don't intend to be disagreeable but what evidence do you have that they are sourced from these locations? (looking to find out more info/confirm)

Is BP also sourced from Singapore?

Agree with the truck station comment.

With the additives added what is primarily used for controlling water contamination?

In regards to 2 stroke oil or ATF I am assuming you are talking about additional lubrication. Have you happened to do a wear scar test (HFRR) with these products?
What affect do these products have on the DPF? E.g do they increase soot or ash levels?
Would be more useful to know your background.
I originally studied Chemical Engineering & worked for Exxon (Esso/Mobil) for some time, both in refining and petrochemicals.
I still have several contacts in the industry.
There has been little change in the processes for moisture control in the last 50 years.
Its unlikely you will get a public open answer to your questions without saying a bit more about yourself.
Old 28-12-2022
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

@ Layback40

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not on the forum to argue or discredit anyone (hence the previous comment in my post). My main aim is to share information & find out more information from others willing to share. It is good to have someone on the forum within the industry to give insight.

My approach is to seek actual facts rather than anecdotal evidence. E.g have a device that can measure or quantify the change. I suspect as a Chemical engineer you would agree.

In the last 50 years what has been used for moisture control?

I am a Jeep owner looking to know what is in the products I purchase & sharing the info for other owners. Knowing a little more than piranhas eating gunk from my fuel line would be good.
bjm
Post New Thread  Reply